+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when I win this months drawing ;)

Blog Entries

Thumbs up when I win this months drawing ;)

When I win this months drawing

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/batsondrawing.jpg

I want to build one rod for Steel head/Salmon and other larger fish on the rivers and sounds of western Washington state. I will want salt water components due to the sound and occasionally going over to the coast and trying some surf fishing. I will be fishing from shore and occasionally a boat. Is it possible to build this rod. what Length and weight rod, which Blank would you recommend.

OK even if I don't win I want to build this rod, can it be done?

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Wink

Eric -

When I win the gift certificate, I will ask that it be made out and mailed to you.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Eric -

When I win the gift certificate, I will ask that it be made out and mailed to you.

John
    Thank you, I'll pray that you win. its not as selfish as praying that I win.

Eric
    Georgy Shragin

lYes it is possible to build a rod like that and I use sevior manufactorying for that. They have some very good blanks for saltwater and a very very good price. built my 8 weight for about $75.00 total price. Yes the blank is tige eye.

Well when I get the gift cert. I'm using it for that 7/8wt. switch rod blank and components that I've been dreaming about. there may even be money leftover for another Tadpole.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

About the time I logged off I received a call from the US census, I am working the next two months or so for Uncle Sam. So perhaps I will be able to save out a couple of days wages and buy the components and a set of waders

Eric
    Georgy Shragin

When you do win Eric, I hope you will take pictures every step in the process of building it, so I can learn how to do the same thing when I build a steelhead rod.

If I win it, I'll do the same, but first I have to build a rod winding rack or whatever it is called.

Roy

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Roy As this would be my first build, I don't think anyone needs pictures of me building it.
    If I build it I will post pictures of the final product.

My son built his first rod last summer. Used a box for winding. made a thread holder out of a bolt and two washers and a spring attached to a 2X4. He then went to the thrift store and bought a can opener that he attached to a rheostat to make a rod turner for use while the epoxy dried.

His rod looks OK and fishes great, I think I can build one that at least fishes, the looks may be lacking.

Hook and Hackle has down loadable instructions on there site to get you started

Eric
    Georgy Shragin

The box worked well but the can opener started to overheat after half an hour. The whole apparatus fell apart after about 2 hours because the epoxy holding it together expanded faster then the metal shaft. I had to tern the rod by hand for another hour until the epoxy finally dried. Turning the rod by hand every 15 minutes worked but I would suggest that you start with a motor designed for long-term use.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James-FS View Post
    The box worked well but the can opener started to overheat after half an hour. The whole apparatus fell apart after about 2 hours because the epoxy holding it together expanded faster then the metal shaft. I had to tern the rod by hand for another hour until the epoxy finally dried. Turning the rod by hand every 15 minutes worked but I would suggest that you start with a motor designed for long-term use.
    Here I am trying to impress everyone with your McGyver skills and you come along and mess it up.

Now go do some homework

Eric
    Georgy Shragin

+ Reply to Thread