+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need a tip top

Hybrid View

Default Need a tip top

Hi, I know someone will have an answer. I broke the tip top, about 1.5" including the tip top, on an old fiberglass rod. Yeah, it's old, so am I, but I would like to replace the tip and get some more use out of it. Where can I find tips?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Default tip top

You might try Cabelas rod building supplies. There is also Mud-hole but I haven't heard anything neccesarily good about them.
    Never brag about you equipment or skill. One is obvious and the other will be.

http://s3.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=89095

"Theoretically" if you put a different tip top on the rod, you would need to reposition all the other guides and re-wrap them. I really don't know why, in this instance, you couldn't have a local fly fishing shop measure up the remaining tip, and attach a new tip top to it. It's not like you use it for finesse type fishing.
    As for replacing the tip top yourself ... if you can get a proper measurement on the tip, you can get the tip top from Hook and Hackle, Mud Hole, Feather Craft, Cabela's, Jann's netcraft or any number of other supply places. You will also need an adhesive to seat it. Again, any one of them would have the right "stuff". Who is it says, "It ain't rocket surgery"? He's right on this one. Simple repair.

And, welcome to the board! I don't think I've seen a post by you before, even though it says this is your third post. You'll like it here!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Try Hook and Hackle It's listed as a sponsor of this site You need to order the correct size. Sizes are in 64ths. Measure the remaining tip to get the size. I would order that size and a size larger (just in case). The only cost about a buck each. You'll need some ferrule cement also or on an old rod you could use epoxy. Good luck

You might also go to rodbuilders.org and see if there is a custom rodbuilder in your area. If there is they would probably fix it for you for a very small cost.

Dave

Default Check pm

Herefishy,
    Please check pm's.
    Mike

Mike, I have some extras, and would be glad to send you one if I knew the size - do you by any chance have a micrometer, or calipers, that you could measure the diameter of the remaining tip?

+ Reply to Thread