+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vise recommendations for beginer fly tying

Default EZ Rotary Vise

Wytroutbum & Nixon22,
    Welcome to FAOL!! You'll love being a member here; advise on all things flyfishing and then some.

Okay, now for my $.02 worth. If you are looking for a very good starter vise I'd go no farther then Hook & Hackle and the EZ Rotary Vise.
    http://shop4.mailordercentral.com/ho...s.asp?dept=229 I realize you guys are just starting out and this is a fantasic starter vise. It was my brothers first vise and he passed it down to me when he moved on to the next level of tying. I will surely do the same. I've had no problems with it and it holds all hooks as well as being a true rotary.

Here's a review: http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re...es_summary.htm
    http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re...otary_vise.htm

Which ever vise you do decide to choose we want to see postings of your first attempts. Also don't forget to check out the Fly Tying section off of the Home page.

Have Fun,
    Jim
    Last edited by fivedials; 04-12-2009 at 02:56 AM.
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

Yep. I bought a EZ Rotary vise to use for tying bass flies (my Regal is the Midge Jaw model) and I've used it for awhile now and can say I'm quite pleased with it. For the price, it's tough to top. I've tied from size 18 down to 1/0 on it with zero problems. Holds the hook very well, especially for 50 bucks.
    Mark 1:17

I haven't heard the Peak vise mentioned yet. I think it's as good as any vise out there. Reasonable price, made in USA, and lifetime guarantee.

Greg

Yeah Greg. I agree about the Peak....although I have not tied on one....was sorely tempted to buy one one time. And have never ever heard anything but how good they are. That's gotta be a great vise. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of them.

You asked about it, now here it is!

Peak Vise Review

I like my PEAK. Would buy it again. Recommend it to my friends. Good Stuff.

PEAK is the only way to go

PEAK is good, I have both jaws..very well made. A rock.
    I was born at night, but not last night.
    Odds are with the prepared...

When I first started out tying I bought myself a Renzetti Traveler. I paid a bit more up front and had some reservations but looking back it was worth paying for a quality vise. I still have this vise and use it for tying.

Ron

Haha you will not find any real advice here about vices. Each make has its own followers. What suits one person another will hate. You could spend lots of money on a vice and not be suited to it. A vice is a personal tool. I have big hands so like a vice with lots of room, you may prefer a small neater vice. I personally hate the danvise although lots here will sing its praises. You may or may not require a rotary vice, (although I would always recommend a rotating vice. Someone earlier described the difference.) There are lots to consider which no one can tell you.

I have an anvil vice which I have used for years now. I have spent lots of money trying to improve it but keep coming back to this. Most people here will tell you to avoid it like the plague cause it has soft jaws etc etc. I have never had any problems and it serves me well. But it may not be what you need.

My best advice is to go to a tying class or your local (or equivalent to) the 'fly dressers guild' where various people will all use one or another of all these vices mentioned in this post and ask if you can try them. Everyone will fall over themselves to help you. You will also learn so much about tying too.

Lesson 1! Don't buy without trying!!
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

+ Reply to Thread