+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vise recommendations for beginer fly tying

Hybrid View

Question Vise recommendations for beginer fly tying

I have started tying my own flies and the $20 dollar vise isn't cutting it. Any recommendations would be great. I am planning on tying down to a size 24. Thanks.

I have tied for five years on my Danvise with extended jaw and never have had a single problem. No chipped jaw, no having to buy multiple tips, not of that stuff you get with other vises. I tie 1/0 down to 24 with ease. It is not a pretty vise but so what?

Normand Guest

Renzetti Traveler

Thumbs up Vise

I am in the same boat, you need to check out the hook and hackle company.
    I just ordered the Apex vise by anvil its a rotating vise.
    I cannot wait to receive this vise, I will kept you informed when I start tying with it, should a week or so. And the best part was I got it on sale. If you order from them your first order is 10% off. Good luck and tight lines.

Curtis

http://www.hookhack.com/

Blog Entries

I have tied for thirty plus years on a Thompson Model A vise, and have had no complaints. Finally wore one out (the cam), had to buy another one five or six years ago.

You can get a vise with as many bells and whistles as you are willing to shell out $ for, but when it comes down to it, what you need is a way to hold onto a hook.

wtb,
    Danvise and Al Beatty are sponsors here....I think.
    I tie on a Nor Vise. It will do ANYTHING any other vise will do, and then some. More money than a beginner usually wants to part with though. Worth it, but IMHO only.
    A friend ties on a Danvise. It is the closest thing to the Nor Vice for versatility and function. Don has made a few "gadgets" to make his Danvise so. The Danvise is an absolutely fine product and extremely affordable too.
    Both true rotary.
    .....lee s.

Default EZ Rotary Vise

Wytroutbum & Nixon22,
    Welcome to FAOL!! You'll love being a member here; advise on all things flyfishing and then some.

Okay, now for my $.02 worth. If you are looking for a very good starter vise I'd go no farther then Hook & Hackle and the EZ Rotary Vise.
    http://shop4.mailordercentral.com/ho...s.asp?dept=229 I realize you guys are just starting out and this is a fantasic starter vise. It was my brothers first vise and he passed it down to me when he moved on to the next level of tying. I will surely do the same. I've had no problems with it and it holds all hooks as well as being a true rotary.

Here's a review: http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re...es_summary.htm
    http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re...otary_vise.htm

Which ever vise you do decide to choose we want to see postings of your first attempts. Also don't forget to check out the Fly Tying section off of the Home page.

Have Fun,
    Jim
    Last edited by fivedials; 04-12-2009 at 02:56 AM.
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

Yep. I bought a EZ Rotary vise to use for tying bass flies (my Regal is the Midge Jaw model) and I've used it for awhile now and can say I'm quite pleased with it. For the price, it's tough to top. I've tied from size 18 down to 1/0 on it with zero problems. Holds the hook very well, especially for 50 bucks.
    Mark 1:17

I haven't heard the Peak vise mentioned yet. I think it's as good as any vise out there. Reasonable price, made in USA, and lifetime guarantee.

Greg

+ Reply to Thread