+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Line - How long does it last?

Default Fly Line - How long does it last?

With the climbing prices of fly line (freshwater) here's some questions -

How long, with average care, should it last? For line $0-20, $20-40, $40-60+?

Other than obvious damage, how do you know when it is time to change line? Does it affect one's cast?

If I buy some line and want to store it for a couple of years, is there a good way? I'm thinking in a dark, dry, cool place.

Besides wear and tear, heat, and direct light, are there any other bad things?

Is there a way to "heal" nicks? Any other fly line first aid tips would be welcome.

I've mostly use Orvis Wonderline and I've fished it hard for 3 seasons and it seems to be ready for its 4th. I try to clean and dress it after 3 or 4 trips (12-20 hours), but I'm not always religious about it.

Springs a'comin' and so's retirement - oh baby, oh baby, OH BABY!
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Looks like you are taking good care of your lines. I have some lines that are 10 years old or older and seem fine. I don't fish as much as some, but it would seem that a line is fine as long as the outer coating is smooth and intact. When it get rough, chipped or broken open it does not slide well through the guide and can absorb water. Proper care and cleaning is important as well as avoiding stepping on your line or allowing sand and dirt to build up while using it. Any abrasive will potentially damage your line as well as the things you mentioned. I have seen lines where the coating has dried out and cracked making it rough. I suspect this was due to heat and/or sun.

As far as buying and storing, I have done this when lines are on sale. I buy them when there is a good price and store them until needed. I have stored new lines in a drawer for a few years (3 -4 ) with no problems. They appear to be as if they are "new" when I use them.

I don't know any way to "heal" nicks. When the nicks get numerous or bothersome, time for a new line or if double taper, turn it around.

Finally, I have not seen any coorelation between the price of a line and how long it last. I have lines in the $25 - $65 range and they appear equal in regard to their logevity barring more use or wear and tear of one over the other.

I had a thread on "Gripes" about the high price of fly Lines. They are getting rediculously out of hand in my opinion.

Dr Bob

I had a thread on "Gripes" about the high price of fly Lines. They are getting rediculously out of hand in my opinion.

Dr Bob[/QUOTE]

Agreed. That is why I only buy lines for sale by other anglers, except for my Cortland 444 Peach lines that haven't gone up very much in the last few years.

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I have lines that are several years old & are fine. Of course, I don't fish as often as many of my fellow FAOLers. I treat mine frequently...I didn't used to, but have for the last few years.
    I personally think HEAT may be the worst thing for a line, which is one reason I do NOT keep an outfit in my Jeep.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

SO many factors contribute to line life one can't put a definate number on it.

To prolong any lines life you must take care of them. This not only means cleaning them after every trip but also making sure you don't step on your line. If you can help it, don't let your line rest on the ground during casting. Try not to drag your sinking lines on the bottom if you can help it. And most importantly, inspect all your guides on your rod and your line guide (if you have one) on your reel. Everything that touches your line should be smooth and free from dirt and debris. After you clean your line and reel and put them away, clean and inspect your rod. It takes and extra 30 seconds to wipe it down and look at it as it slides into the rod bag. With just a little extra effort your lines will last longer and perform better and that makes spending money on the next one much easier.

There are many factors that will contribute to your lines life. Do you put the fish on the reel or do you strip it into the grass, rocks & mud? Does it sit in a hot car?, On the deck of a hot boat? Do you keep it clean & treated? If you care for your lines you can get a couple of years out of them. I replace my lines every year except for the silks that can last decades.

Question 2 guys with questions

Okay. Now you have two guys asking questions. I am careful about my equipment; but I have not heard about dressing my line?

Sure I wipe down my line, reel goes into its box, rod into it's sock, waders rinsed and hung to dry away from direct sunlight.

Now, from this thread, I'm led to believe I should be applying something to my line. Guessing from dressing a fly, and I have a WFF line it could lose some of it's floating abilities over time? Someone please clue me in?

Jim
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

"With proper care a fly line should last 3-400 fishing hours"

The late Leon Chandler (Comparadun), former VP of Cortland Line Co. and, until his death in 2004 a regular visitor to the FAOL chat room.

I still miss him
    Last edited by Jerry; 04-05-2009 at 11:32 PM.

I clean and treat my line with ZipCast at the start of each outing. I love the stuff. It's quick and easy to apply when you rig up and makes a very noticeable difference in line performance.

I've been buying premium lines, but I might be reconsidering that with my next purchase and try a lower priced line. As others have noted, line prices are getting crazy and I'm wondering about the value of those $70+ lines vs. those less than $50. I think I'm also going to switch to DT lines so I can use both ends.

I also buy lines ahead of time and store them without any problems. If I find a line that works for me on closeout, I buy it and put it in a cool, dark place until I need it.

I just changed my main trout fishing line. It lasted 4 pretty hard seasons of 30-40 trips per season. I had already cut back the tip several times and whipped new loops. But a good portion of the line had fine cracks running across the line and the tip was starting to sink badly.

Most modern lines seem to be made of PVC, and I don't believe heat is as bad for them as direct exposure to sunlight. If a line is kept clean and stored in a dark place, it should last for several years. I have some lines as old as 10-15 yrs. that still perform well.

+ Reply to Thread