+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Budget Outfit--Rod/Reel

Hybrid View

Default Budget Outfit--Rod/Reel

This is fun. What budget reel would you match with my 10 ft. 5 wt, rod? I'm not sure about what is meant by a balanced outfit. Would I need a larger, heavier reel for a 10-footer?

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

medalist 1494 save some money for a good line

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

nighthawk Guest

The medalist is good or you could try one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3D3%26ps%3D57

I have one of those Martins and really like it. Like most budget reels the drag is a little vague but sufficient to do the job. Actually well balanced and not overly heavy. Hey for under $30 for a new reel you can't go wrong.

That having been said I am seriously considering one of these from Albright:

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/index...gati-fly-reels

Good luck.

Balance for a fly rod: (It has nothig to do with any kind of fulcrum point)

The rod is suited to the fishing you expect and the casts you'll be making with it (your 10 footer for 'nymphing' gives you some percieved 'advantages' over a shorter rod, etc..)

The LINE (always the second thing, the LINE is ALWAYS more important than the reel) properly loads the rod at the distances you'll be using it, and can carry the flies (weight/wind resistance) you want the distance you want them to go.

The reel is of sufficient size to hold both the line you've chosen AND the amount of backing YOU consider 'enough' for your intended use of the rod. What kind of drag system you prefer should be considered here, as well. (A lot of these are subjective choice, you have to make them for yourself, or find someone you trust to do it for you.)

That's a 'balanced' outfit by my experience.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I had a friend who fished a very light 4wt. Payne cane rod with a heavy automatic reel, said he liked the weight below the grip, it 'balanced' well there for him. My other buddy used a very light 3wt. Orvis cane rod and the lightest skeleton type reel he could buy. Said he didn't want any weight below his casting hand, it wouldn't 'balance' well.

Default I see what you mean

Thanks, Guys. I see what you mean. It's a subjective choice--what feels right to me. I never understood what a balanced outfit meant. I've always matched the line to the weight of the reel and the rod.
    Bruce

Default Budget reel

Tomato can, duct tape, rocks inside can as needed for balance.

But seriously, I have a reel (real) liking for the older Daiwa SF 706 or equivalent Scientific Anglers System One 456 (the made in Japan ones from the 80's to early 90's with the brownish charcoal type color baked enamel finish with the chrome palming rim on spool).

These are just great reels in my opinion. Workhorse, solid spring and pawl drag, and will just about last forever with very little care. Sometimes they can be found on ebay or elsewhere for a good price, too.

Tom

Typically when folks talk about a balanced outfit they mean matching the rod and the line, e.g. 5 wt line on a 5 wt rod. But, balance in terms of reel size, rod length etc. is also important and is different for everyone. As others have said, some like a heavy reel and some like a lighter reel. As long as it holds the line and backing appropriately and "feels" right for you it is balanced.

I second the Medalist reel. Good reel for the price.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread