+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medium, progressive action rods: What's your favorite

[QUOTE=Bill Hanneman;289735]
    Quote Originally Posted by docbluedevil View Post
    Dave

Well said. Action description sure is relative. The faster rods get these days, the slower my "medium" rods become. In the glass community, we often talk about "fast for glass" which is still slower than most "medium action" graphite rods.

Sorry to disagree, but Action, when used by knowledgeable rod builders, refers to "where" a rod bends. If one wishes to be precise in describing "how or where" one's rod bends, use the quantitative term "Action Angle". Once a rod is built, that value remains constant?until you break the rod.
    I agree, rod action descriptions are alot like political affiliation descriptions. When I hear someone say "I'm a moderate", I always have to wonder what that means.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

Default medium, progressive action rods: what is your favorite

if i could only keep one fly rod of all the rods i have it would be the orvis far and fine

grumps

Default McFarland Rods

For all of you that are into glass rods you've gotta cast a McFarland rod. His rods are sweet. I've cast 'em, but have yet to fish one. I spent considerable time with him at a local sports show recently. Also, I once took a rod building class from him. He is a gentleman and an excellent award winning caster. He designs his own blanks and builds every rod by himself including the handles and reel inserts. I'm not affiliated with him in any way, but I am amazed at these rods. I never thought I'd like them, but after casting one I may give it a try. He's easy to find on the internet.

I hope this post is not unethical because he is not a sponsor. If so, feel free to remove post and I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    For all of you that are into glass rods you've gotta cast a McFarland rod. His rods are sweet. I've cast 'em, but have yet to fish one. I spent considerable time with him at a local sports show recently. Also, I once took a rod building class from him. He is a gentleman and an excellent award winning caster. He designs his own blanks and builds every rod by himself including the handles and reel inserts. I'm not affiliated with him in any way, but I am amazed at these rods.
    I agree. Mike McFarland is a gentlemen and produces top notch rod taper w/ superb crafsmanship. I have only experience w/ his glass rods but hear positive things about his graphite rods as well.

Quote Originally Posted by docbluedevil View Post
    I recently picked up a Winston DL4 8'6" 4 wt, thinking it would be med-slow based on others' descriptions; in my hand it feels med-fast, a little faster than my IM6 8'6" 5 wt. I guess the taper is different enough from your 3 wts. Either way, it looks like it will be a great tailwater rod for big trout out here.
    I can't comment on the 8'6" 5wt IM6, but the 8'6" 5wt DL4 is a really sweet stick too IMHO. Although I like my 8'6" 4wt DL4, I think it is slower than my 8'6" 3wt WT which was also described as "medium" by Winston. The 3wt DL4's are VERY different than any other 3wt Winston graphite rods I've cast and very different from the 4-5-6 DL4's

Gatti 906 FR 3pc PA

I'm another Gatti fan; my favotite is my FR 905 3PA.

Any of the bamboo rods I make. They are all a progressive type taper. Fish in close or reach out to the far end of the fly line or any place in between.

Little rods:
    Garrison 193, 201,209
    My 7' 6" and 7' 9" hollow built 5 wt. (2 rods)

Big rods:
    My 8' 7wt hollow steelhead rod
    My hollow 3 pc 8wt salmon rod
    My 9' 9wt hollow salmon rod
    My 10' 6" two handed hollow 8 wt steelhead rod
    Sage 14' graphite II spey rod

All the above are bamboo except the Sage spey rod.

I have more bamboo than I deserve I think.

fishbum

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Mostly in the fly tying area. Plus allot off line for Furled Leaders. Talk regularly to Cameron, Mountain Shark and Mojo.
    I think Fly Goddess has become a recluse!!!!

But that's okay as long as she has spent the winter tying me flies and is getting ready to ship them to me!!!!

What??? You talk regularly to Mojo???? Isn't that un-American????

AG great to hear from you. Don't go to the Winston forum much anymore...don't know why really.
    TWO NEW SPEY RODS!!!!! Wahoo and some new waist high waders....Life is goooooooood!
    And yup! I talk to Mojo. Allot more since I quit smoking, in fact I talk allot more period since I quit smoking.......LIFE IS GOOOOOOOOOD!
    Last edited by Fly Goddess; 04-11-2009 at 09:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread