+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grannom Emerger Question

Hybrid View

Default Grannom Emerger Question

Would the body color on a Grannom emerger be green or dark brown with a gray wing or shroud? In what part of the evolutionary process do they turn from green to dark brown and almost black? I always get mixed up with caddis hatches.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Would the body color on a Grannom emerger be green or dark brown with a gray wing or shroud? In what part of the evolutionary process do they turn from green to dark brown and almost black? I always get mixed up with caddis hatches.
    Thanks,
    Bruce
    This one's particularly confusing because grannom refers to the genus brachycentrus. Then the question is which species.

I'm no bug expert, but I think two species are important: Americanus (American Grannom) and Numerosus.

I think Americanus is the brown wing, green body. Numerosus is the gray body, dark (almost black wing). I wonder if you're getting the two confused (or heck, maybe I'm just plain wrong)?

I fish the b. numerosus hatch every april. Green body/black wing ESP's and DSP's work as does the classic starling & herl fished down and across. Mercer's Z-wing pupa is a good
    'un as well. For the adult, I like a grey body, black wing with the hackle tied up front like a stimulator (not palmered on the body).

Default You're right, Steven

I should have been more clear. There are plenty of them. I'm speaking of the Pennsylvania Grannoms that hatch in April and May. That's as close as I can describe them. I don't know the correct biological species.

Default Pennsylvania Grannoms

Lastchance for the j fish the lead wing coachman.

John
    Fish like predator.

Hi,

A while back we had a thread on Pritt's Greentail (pattern 33 of his list), which is a softhackle grannom fly immitation.

Body: rear half - green floss/sild (emerald green; so dark green, not bright)
    : front half - grey (lead coloured) thread lightly dubbed with hare's face fur
    Hackle: inside of a Woodcock's wing, a Partridge's neck, or under a Hen Pheasant's wing

I suppose since the greentail represents the egg sack on these flies (at least on the UK version), so this wouldn't really be an emerger pattern but rather an egglaying female caught in the surface film (or just under).

Anyway, we experimented a bit with things in that thread and I think the consensus was that waxing could help to darken up some of the green therads/silks if they are not dark enough (but check them wet first, as some materials will darken when wet). REE had some really nice ones as I recall.

This was my version:

- Jeff
    Last edited by JeffHamm; 04-01-2009 at 07:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread