+ Reply to Thread

Thread: flies from iowa"

Hybrid View

Default flies from iowa"

well here i am ,,deep in the ozarks ..trying to fish ....in between the raindrops an the frost ... well it has been good to get out an an chase what ever ...i am using a 5wt. rod with a 5wf line an all the rest ....i wanted to give my 1st report on using some of the flies thant was sent to me from Iowa . i presented about 4 of them ,,in a pond water was relativly clear to gin clear ;i made presentations of the red an green flies on a couple of cloudy days with the idea that because it was a darker fly for a darker day ..a couple of chases but no takes ..an then some really short strips and some nibbles ..but the water temp was still cold ..so i tried a couple days later ..bright day in the afternoon ..water was a little cloudy ..not bad so i tried the silver flash ..with what i call a dead drift with a 6 inch strip and took 4 10+inch bluegill ...however the water did warm up..an they are more active ...much more willing to take ...the flash ....there is a sky blue one i had really good hits on ,,an took 2 over 9+ inch on the bluegills ....i tried the blabk one on had some juvinile lg. mouth bass chase but not take ..i am tring to stay away from stripping these,just to see what an how the bass an blue gill come to rise and the aggresiveness of the take i will give a report on the river next week
    yeah ,like they are just gonna jump on the hook ,,,huh

4 'gills over 10"? WOW! I'd say that fly is a KEEPER!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Foambug, where in the Ozarks?

Default east of anderson

i live east of anderson, north of fayettville ,west of branson,south of joplin,,in a small comunity called bethpage ...next to sugar creek ..near indian creek.. an not far from elk river.and yes the flies are great !!!!!!! more reports as i wander ..i dont have the true names of the flies i am just going by body color an hackle color
    yeah ,like they are just gonna jump on the hook ,,,huh

Default not trying to hijack, but....

Foambug,

I get down Bella Vista way once or twicw a year to visit family, and have wondered how the Elk River fishes. Floated it once with family and saw someone pull out a decent smallie. Is the aluminum hatch always as bad as it was around the 4th of July?

Kevin

The aluminum hatch is fairly heavy from Memorial day to Labor day (probably at it's worst on the 4th of July), but if you get up above Pineville you can avoid the biggest share of traffic, and yes, the smallmouth fishing can be quite good. Along with good sized goggle-eye and pumpkinseeds with the occasional largemouth down near Noel where the water slows thrown in. If you're into suckers, there's a lot of them as well and not just the ones in the canoes
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread