+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Local lad makes the big time!

Thumbs up Local lad makes the big time!

Just a short mention that one of our FAOL chat-room hosts, Toby Vaughn (Antron-Midge) has hooked up with one of our oldest sponsors, Conranch Hackles as a Pro Rep. Denny Conrad says, "Toby has become one of the top soft hackle tiers in the country, having trained under such greats as Tony Spezio and Jeff Hines, two world class tiers". Toby is very active locally, serving on several boards, committees and teaching youth groups. Congrats Toby; well done.
    Last edited by LadyFisher; 03-29-2009 at 09:43 PM.

Default Pro Rep Toby Vaughn

Thanks JC & LF for this post.

We here at Conranch Hackle are proud to have added Toby to our team this past year.
    In the past 12 years of my "doing shows" I have been privledged to watch many new tiers advance in their tying skills.

At my first Sow bug in Mtn. Home AR, (11 years ago) I was introduced to Toby and Dee. They both tied exceptional flies. As time passed Toby really got totally into tying. Part of this is because he is a true fly fisherman, but I noticed he had a quality that is hard to describe. Excellent hand skills and a really good spacial perception.
    Toby has always enjoyed tying soft hackle flies. He was stuck on Partridge as his choice of hackle. Once he got his hands on our JV hens, Katy bar the door. Now the JV hen is his choice. Toby also ties some excellent dries. He is a well rounded tier.

Toby always takes the extra step to help others. I remember one of the shows that impressed me most was in Oklahoma where he was teaching several new youth tiers. It fascinated me to be able to sit back from the sidelines and observe, un-noticed his willingness to pass on his skills.

Toby is a Host on our chat room, so stop in and chat with him. Antron Midge is his handle.
    Toby & Dee have added a tier to their home. Caleb is following his folks footsteps, not only in tying but in fishing. When he was born I told them I felt he was at least a 2 weight.

Welcome to our staff Toby.

Denny, Liz & Kenny
    Last edited by Denny; 03-31-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Congrats to Toby on this. I appreciate his tying skills.

Rick

Thanks for all of the kind words. I am truly honored and humbled to be a member of the Conranch Hackle Team!! I want to publicly thank Denny for the oppurtunity to represent Conranch Hackle, it truly means a great deal to me. I have been very blessed with great mentors ( Denny mentioned Tony Spezio and Jeff Hines but he helped a great deal himself). Without their guidence, I would not be the person I am today, much less a fly tier. I truly love the sport of flyfishing, and anyway that I can give back I do. I hope to represent Conranch Hackle with honesty and enthusiasm. Thanks to all again for the kind words they mean more than you can ever know

Toby

+ Reply to Thread