+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saving natural hairs and furs?

Question Saving natural hairs and furs?

I am brand new to fly tying and was wondering what do you use to save your materials? Do you just put them in a ziploc bag and forget it or what? We have a couple of horses and I am thinking of using their hair for flies, as well as that of the dog and cats. They are all outside animals and though we do our best to take care of them, I don't want to bring in fleas or lice into the house. As far as I know they don't have any, but I don't want to take chances. I had thought of putting a moth ball in the bag with them, but I am not sure. Is there anything particular that you use? I know some of you use furs from wild animals, what do you treat those with? Maybe I am just being paranoid, but I don't want to bring in any creepy crawlies into my house.

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Default It all works

three horse hair and one pet fur post . I use horse, cat and dog. Horse tail is fantastic ribbing and bodies for small nymphs.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...earchid=519537

HnT,

I'd certainly use the horse hair...the tail and mane hairs have definite uses..and they will 'keep' for when you get to the point you are ready to use them. Look for good solid colors, black, white, brown, cream...these will work for ribbing and small bodies. They'll only take a light wash with some shampoo to get them ready for tying.

But, as you stated you are new to this, I'd leave the dog and cat hair out in the yard with the animals...the chance of infestation is extreme, and the uses for these furs is limited at best. The amount you'd be 'saving' by using these for dubing mixes or tailing/winging hairs, would be measured in pennies..and the time and trouble to clean it and prepare wouldn't be, in my opinion, worth the trouble. I'd not chance it unless you have those rare olive labs or artic seal fur siameese.

If you Do choose to use your pets hair for flies, it's easy to acquire...wash the animal with a good anti flea shampoo...I'd do it twice, using the warmest water the animal will allow and rinsing well each time...then, brush the animal while it's wet, saving what the brush gathers....let the fur you've collected dry, then wash it in some good shampoo and then use a good creme rinse...if you want longer hair to be 'straight' lay it out on a paper towel and staighten it out and let it dry...if all you want is dubbing, just lay it on the towel and let it dry.

Like I say, I'd not go through this with my dogs, they do dislike the bath, just to save a couple of dollars on a package of dubbing, but.....up to you.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Get a pyrethrin pest strip from your farm store. Cut it into one inch squares, one each in each plastic bag.

My wife has a flea comb she uses on the cats, which pulls out the under fur or natural dubbing and collects it in one convenient place. It's a mix of black, white and gray furs, but altogether comes out gray. I've used it before on some nymphs and even a special stimulator for a pet hair swap once. If you do decide to mess with it, inspect it carefully for fleas, lice or eggs and always ALWAYS keep it in a tightly sealed Zip-Loc baggie. And make sure it's sealed in the event there are buggies in there. Also, our cats are indoor cats who frequently go outside through a cat door. It's interesting when Socks comes back in after rooting around the ash pile. What a mess....
    Jared DuBach

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Get a pyrethrin pest strip from your farm store. Cut it into one inch squares, one each in each plastic bag.
    *smacks side of head* I work at a farm store. I can't believe I didn't think of that. thanks for all the tips guys

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

A friend of mine zaps suspicous stuff in the microwave for about 10 seconds, then stores it in ziplock bags. (make sure your wife isn't around!

Default listen to Mr. Castwell ;-)

I read Mr. Castwell's advise on the no pest strips (few months ago) and three days later I noticed that some kind of moth/maggots were into my supplies - they had eaten an entire cape - nothing but dust and bugs left and damaged a pheasent skin.

His no pest strip solution saved all my feathers.

Works fast too -

Thankyou Mr. Castwell -
    Jim Wright

JDubz,
    Noticed this was Your first post, just want to say,
    Welcome to The Best Site Around!

High Desert Area of N. CA. 60 miles north of Reno, NV, at the north-eastern base of the Sierras.

I have been in a few swaps that had us use hair and/or feathers from our pets. I used my daughter's cat and my neighbors cat and tied up a dozen nymphs. We had some pretty innotive flies tied for that swap. I always "Nuke" per hair, feathers and "Road Kill" for 10-15 seconds in the microwave (spouse has to be out of the house). This is enough time to boil and burst any living thing in the fur or feathers. I pick up stuff while fishing, hiking and one time on my way to COSTCO (60 miles away), I saw a coyote that had been hit; so I stopped and cut off the tail, shoved it in a baggie and finished my trip. Made some nice flies. You can use the fur as dubbing, as a tail, as a body wrap, a wing... just name it. If it's FREE, It's meant to be.

Deserttrout
    deserttrout

May Your God Be Your Fishing Partner

+ Reply to Thread