How do you describe "epic"? That's what my day was on Lower Sac Wednesday (3/25) with guide RJ (out of Chico). First, I've not been much of a nymph fisherman, even beginning to think it was a myth that anybody could catch anything substantial on those little subsurface bugs. I'm now a total believer.

RJ set me up right, showed me a whole new way to cast and drift, and it was game on. First fish to the boat was a fat and sassy 20-inch 'bow.

It didn't stop the rest of the day. Normally, I'd figure a really good day would mean 9 or 10 fish, but when all was said and done, I had 32 fish to the boat with a half-dozen or so where I missed the hook set or were LDR'd. I'm still shaking my head days later.

Yeah, it was a long day, heading out of Sacto at 4:45, in the water by 8:30-ish, back to the car by 5:30-ish, and on my way back to Sacto close to 6:00. I got home around 9:00 and was still pumped. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

For a guy who's relatively new to fly-fishing, with pretty much dry-fly in the Sierras kinds of experiences, this rocked my world. Wow. A big thanks to RJ, and boy am I glad I live so close to some of the best trout fishing ever.

John