+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: considering rotary

Default considering rotary

I am considering buying a rotary vise, but i have no idea what kind would work best for me. I tie mostly size 10 and up warm water style flies. Lately i have been tying quite a few large bass/pike flies. any suggestions?

Fish
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

Fish,

Danvise or the Ron Abbey DynaKing.

Danvise will cost less, and I know guys that do lots of warmwater flies and get along fine with one of these.

I have the DynaKing. Great vise, but you pay for it. Best investment in leisure/fun I've ever made, though.

The DynaKing jaws have hook grooves in them that allow you to hold larger hooks securely without too much tension....I spin lots of hair and do other things that require lots of tension on the hook/vise jaw connection....them grooves are right handy.

I prefer the Ron Abbey version because of the turning handle/wheel...it's more like turning a reel handle than pushing on a stick.

All that being said, though, there are lots of fine rotary vises out there.

After you get your vise, buy either the Beatty book or Video on rotary techniques. There is a significant advantage to be had from a rotary vise.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Renzetti Traveler vise.
    True rotary.
    Have two, one in Louisiana and one in Florida.
    So, I mostly tie size 6 and larger -- up to 2/0.
    Not the cheapest, but no complaints.

Normand Guest

go to a local fly shop and sit down and tie some flies with the samples in the shop. thats the only way you will know which one is right for YOU

Default Regal.

Quote Originally Posted by hugefish_80 View Post
    I tie mostly size 10 and up warm water style flies. Lately i have been tying quite a few large bass/pike flies. any suggestions?

Fish
    Fish,

I'd seriously consider the Regal.

No, it's not "true" rotary but after having a Regal, a couple of Renzetti's and now a Snowbee-Waldron I'm of the opinion that true rotaries aren't absolutely necessary! Especially if you aren't stuck in your ways.

I tie lots (lots!) of those warmwater flies too and the Regal is superb for exactly that. You can still rotate your fly to get to all sides easily enough if you need to but I honestly don't think it's the most important option on a tool for your type of ties.

Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by hugefish_80 View Post
    I am considering buying a rotary vise, but i have no idea what kind would work best for me. I tie mostly size 10 and up warm water style flies. Lately i have been tying quite a few large bass/pike flies. any suggestions?

Fish
    Does 10 and up mean 10, 12, 14 etc? Or 10, 8, 6....

Blog Entries

Check out the vise reviews at http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re...many_vises.htm and http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index.html
    But I agree you should try out before you buy -- for me, I have an Anvil Atlas that's just perfect for all my tying needs -- came with C clamp and pedestal -- bullet proof -- and holds all sizes of hooks especially larger sizes
    My other choices when I was looking were Anvil Apex and Peak vises -- all nice too -- and any of which are not that expensive -- decided against Danvise because of plastic -- but know it's a great vise too
    Last edited by Mike Ormsby; 03-27-2009 at 12:37 PM.
    "No matter how complicated life can get -- remember life is sometimes like fly fishing; after turning over every rock in the river trying to "match the hatch", you have probably spooked every fish for miles -- so don't let the "little things" BUG you -- just enjoy whatever you find." Mike Ormsby

I have both a DynaKing and a Renzetti. Both work well but I find myself using the DynaKing more. I think each vise will have its followers. I'd develop a list of requirements of what you want in a vise before going to purchase one. List things like price, durability, portability, griping action, expect length of use and accessories. Go to a local fly shop and "try" several of the vises side by side for the "feel" of the vise. A lower end vice may only last a few years vs. one like a DynaKing that is built to last a lifetime.

Blog Entries

Smile

Nor-Vise

The Nor-Vise is a fantastic vise, a true in line rotary. I used a Griffin Patriot for many years but then I bought a Nor-Vise. Now my Griffin collects dust until I bring it along to fly tying shows so other people can use it if they want to.

There are so many advantages to the Nor-Vise. You really have to try it to appreciate just how great it is.

Norm Norlander broke his DVD down into a series of You Tube shows. Here is a link to part number one. Watch all of the parts, then go out and buy a Nor-Vise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYmt0lJgDPo&feature=related

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club