Dave E
Nicely written question. Reminds me of the ten minute question I had on my orals, but that's another story. I would submit that the Au Sable system in Michigan might suit you even if everybody and their dog has heard about it. I have fished the branches in the middle of the Summer without seeing anyone else. The North, South, East and Main Branch have multiple accessibility options. The fly shops are very friendly. While you're in that neck of the woods you could fish the Manistee steams (Big and Little are wonderful). A little farther south and you could hit the Pere Marquette; a little farther north and you could be on the Boardman or Betsie.
When I lived in North Central Wisconsin, I was in Brookie and Brownie heaven. Fifteen minutes out my door, I could be on the Little Wolf, Tomorrow (Waupaca), Flume Creek, and several nameless but productive creeks(They were not nameless but I'm not telling.). After opening weekend there simply were no crowds. There were no fly shops either.
Southwestern Wisconsin's driftless region could not be beat for beautiful, healthy streams and wild trout, lovely landscapes and nice people. (search "spinner1" on this board, for instance.)
I liked camping in the Snowy Range in Wyoming with a plethora of trouty water.
I am quite sure you will have no end of suggestions but good luck on your quest.
Have you thought of New Zealand? Great water - great people - great vistas.

aside to krauseb: you'll get more response to your inquiry if you start your own thread.

mcsteff