+ Reply to Thread

Thread: yak question

Hybrid View

Question yak question

a discount sporting goods retailer has a pelican sot yak for a fraction of the cost of the ocean products. weight of the boat and weight capacity are all similiar. how much difference can there be between the pelican and the higher priced boats? a friend of mine bought one of the pelicans last year and it doesn't handle as well as my sit in boat but certainly seems to be adequate. mine is also a discount sportng goods version by perception, a real cheapie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jalama View Post
    a discount sporting goods retailer has a pelican sot yak for a fraction of the cost of the ocean products. weight of the boat and weight capacity are all similiar. how much difference can there be between the pelican and the higher priced boats? a friend of mine bought one of the pelicans last year and it doesn't handle as well as my sit in boat but certainly seems to be adequate. mine is also a discount sportng goods version by perception, a real cheapie.
    Why don't you paddle a few of the higher priced boats and determine that yourself?

I'll tell you there's a huge difference, but you'll never know until you paddle a few.
    Steve

2 years ago I bought a pelican yak; 12 footer.

I was very disapointed in it, so I returned it, and got myself an old town, it is quite the world of difference between them.

Payed a little more but the comfort, and stablity are awesome!

Hey steve , did you ever catch some fish on the flies I sent you?

chris

Default steve gibson

i don't have the option to demo any boats. the cheapie models are 1.5 hours away and don't offer demo opportunities. you obviously have a wealth of experience. what would you suggest for someone 6ft 7 in 300 pounds?

5. Default

you obviously have a wealth of experience. what would you suggest for someone 6ft 7 in 300 pounds?
    I've been an avid paddler for more than 30 years and run a kayaking company in southern Thailand. I have had close to a hundred or more kayaks through the years.

If you're into speed at all, realize that hull speed is a product of length and width. Long narrow boats are the fastest, but the least stable... maybe not what you want fish from. Widening the boat starts to slow it down.

If you're purely into comfort while fishing, then go for a wider boat... more stable.

Look at the hull of a boat and look at the shape and the point at which the hull changes from a 'deep V' (most bows and sterns), to round (very common) and perhaps to flat in the middle. Boats with a flat middle and deep V bows and sterns can still be fairly quick too... as long as it's a long boat.

Wilderness Systems make good fishin' kayaks. Most sit-on-top companies are now offering kayaks designed for fishermen. Perception is one of the best lines of boats available in the plastic realm. They're not cheap though.

Dagger and some of the other mid-range companies make good boats, though not as durable as some pricier brands. For a 'personal use' (non-commercial) paddler, this could be all you really need.

PM me if you wish. I've got a big school group from San Diego coming for a week starting tomorrow, but I'll have access to emails while I'm out playing... I mean working.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

At your size, you are going to need a larger 'touring' size kayak. My Wilderness Systems 9-footer is only rated to 250 pounds. You'll need a larger (longer) yak, but the upside is that it will most likely be faster. I can easily maintain 3-4 knots all day long in mine.

I would stay away from Pelicans, unless you just plan to frolick in a swimming pool with it. For your size, I would recommend the Emotion Bliss 10'10" model. You can get them for around $450.00 new, and cheaper used. They have a roomy cockpit, adequate storage, and enough weight allowance that you won't max it out. They are rated to Class III whitewater, but, like my Bravo, if you accidentally get caught in Class V rapids, you can get through them intact, without losing your gear. Just try not to make a habit of it.

Whatever model you choose, make sure it has at least a 350 pound weight capacity, a roomy cockpit, and that you can get accesories for it, like a sprayskirt.

Another option you may look at is a hybrid boat, known as a 'yakanoe'. I bought a Mad River Adventure 14' Hybrid last year at Dicks Sporting Goods for $199.00 (on sale), and use it all the time. It's a bit heavier than a true yak at around 70 pounds, but still easily managable. It has a weight capacity of 800 pounds, seats two, and the spray skirt works great on it. It can be rolled just like a true yak, and has no trouble with Class V whitewater on an occasional basis. You have room for lots of gear, tents and anything you need for trips of up to a week. It is easily as fast as my Bravo, and even handles great in the ocean.

Don't skimp on a yak. Remember, a lot can happen on the water, and your yak could be your only life insurance.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 03-27-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Blog Entries

i don't have the option to demo any boats. the cheapie models are 1.5 hours away and don't offer demo opportunities. you obviously have a wealth of experience. what would you suggest for someone 6ft 7 in 300 pounds?
    Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5.
    Steve

Forget the Pelican. Inferior quality, poor tracking and no resale value.

At your size, I would recommend the Native Ultimate 14.5 (though more of a cross between a canoe and kayak), Ocean Kayak Big Game or Trident 15, WS Tarpon 160. Heritage Redfisher 14 and Malibu Pro Explorer would be good kayaks also.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

+ Reply to Thread