Quote Originally Posted by jalama View Post
you obviously have a wealth of experience. what would you suggest for someone 6ft 7 in 300 pounds?
I've been an avid paddler for more than 30 years and run a kayaking company in southern Thailand. I have had close to a hundred or more kayaks through the years.

If you're into speed at all, realize that hull speed is a product of length and width. Long narrow boats are the fastest, but the least stable... maybe not what you want fish from. Widening the boat starts to slow it down.

If you're purely into comfort while fishing, then go for a wider boat... more stable.

Look at the hull of a boat and look at the shape and the point at which the hull changes from a 'deep V' (most bows and sterns), to round (very common) and perhaps to flat in the middle. Boats with a flat middle and deep V bows and sterns can still be fairly quick too... as long as it's a long boat.

Wilderness Systems make good fishin' kayaks. Most sit-on-top companies are now offering kayaks designed for fishermen. Perception is one of the best lines of boats available in the plastic realm. They're not cheap though.

Dagger and some of the other mid-range companies make good boats, though not as durable as some pricier brands. For a 'personal use' (non-commercial) paddler, this could be all you really need.

PM me if you wish. I've got a big school group from San Diego coming for a week starting tomorrow, but I'll have access to emails while I'm out playing... I mean working.