+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make sure its what you want...

Unhappy Make sure its what you want...

By the looks of the for sale board this day and time you better do alot of research and triple check every aspect of the item you are intending to buy.When you ask how this rod is or that reel is your best bet is to GO and look at all options before you buy and make sure that rod you THINK you must have is what you really want because in this tough economic time you may be stuck with it whether you like it or not...

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Well said, Thomas!

The phrase, "Let the Buyer Beware," is never truer than when you are talking about sales of this type. Aside from problem with the merchandise there are always potential problems with the seller. I've done some eBay shopping and had very good experiences but you do have to know your produce. 8T

What are you referring to? I mean that as an honest question and with no disrespect, but when you say "By the looks of the for sale board this day and time you better do alot of research and triple check every aspect of the item you are intending to buy", that seems like an awfully broad statement. I've bought and sold things from the board before with no issues, and would presume there to be no more or less risk than with any other reputable board. What's different about now, or about the folks that have stuff listed now? Like I say, honest question. I'm just not picking up on what specifically you're trying to alert us to. Thanks.

Thumbs down let me enlighten you john

If you notice on alot of boards lately there is alot of items for sale but little to no takers unless the item is basically given away.People are just not buying like they were say two to three monthes ago,even the bass fishing sites are seeing a glutten of stuff pop up for sale but the takers are scarce.I for one never thought the fishing family would be hit by the economy,i know of several that would still buy tackle instead of eat!,but by the looks of all the ads lately the buying spree even in fishing has come to a screaching halt...

One more note watch out on ebay now especially,seems people have nothing better to do than mess with people now,you'll see someone bid on your item with no feedback only to win and you never see payment from them...

I think that John N's question is fair. I took the original post to mean that there was some increased risk in buying from folks on the forum, whether or not that was your intent. From you follow up, I'd say maybe the caution is the other way around right now...sellers need to be more careful to be certain of who they are selling to and how they will be paid.

Bottom line is that you are right about knowing what you want and what you are buying. That's just good common sense in both good economic times and bad.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

I believe what he is actually saying is that alot of items are showing up for sale on this board due to people not getting what they want from wherever the original purchase was made. I for one, on over several dozen transactions here, have so far been completely satisfied, everything has been "as advertised". That is not to say there are not exceptions, but this is a very friendly community that looks out for each other. That being said, you still need to do some diligence in investigating any purchase, see how long the seller has been a member, etc. For the most part I am extremely comfortable buying here from the members.

Thanks, Valhalla, you are exactly right as to the meaning of the question. As for you Thomas, thanks for the "enlightenment" and the thumbs down. I thought I pretty well tripped all over myself making sure you wouldn't be offended, but am enlightened to see that for some people even that's not enough. Have a good one.

Flyfish4troutguy Guest

Some people are gear heads and finally relaize that rod collecting dust as well, so they sell it. Also sometimes not many places offer somewhere to cast the rod before you get it. But yeah I think it is tough times and people have lots of equipment and they just need the extra cash.

tighlines,

Mike

nighthawk Guest

Ah, first you talk about buying then about selling so which one is it that has you concerned? Buying, Selling or both? I am confused. As to the hard economic times hitting the fishing industry, well, why wouldn't it? I don't think there is some special immunity here for our industry.

There has always been some amount of higher risk buying and selling on boards and open market or auction forums as compared to selling in person or from a retail location. Goes with the territory.

So Thomas, did you have a bad experience somewhere you'd like to share?

+ Reply to Thread