+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What flies to teach kids first?

Hope you have lots of help Andrew,your list is pretty impresive. I teach and wouldn't think of trying some of those flies without one on one help. I teach 10 scouts at a time(150 so far) and have my hands full sometimes. Some will be fast learners some will never get it without one on one.

One 9 year old girl that I taught can tie a Clousers as well as some men in our club. Even Clouser himself was impressed.

Your first class should be stressing how to start the thread,second the important "Pinch Method" of adding material and have a few ball point pens to teach the half hitch. That is why the Bugger should be first.

Wolly Bugger,Micky Finn,Clouser,Elk hair Caddis,Pheasent tail nymph,then lots of luck with the others.

------------------

Bill

For streamer choice I would probably go w/ something like the Blacknosed Dace. One or two deer tails, a little tinsel and you have all the materials for a whole fistfull of tying without much materials cost. A good fishing pattern too. If you have a red squirl tail or two, you might consider the Shushan Postmaster ( by Lew Oatman). just as simple to tie, something the students would not be likely to get "store bought" and an excellent fishing fly which seems to have been forgotten except for a few cranks like me.
    One thing you might encourage is the use of materials your students might be able to get from hunting or from folks they know who hunt. Lots of grouse hunters don't fish or tie and would be happy to part w/ the makings of the classic Partridge wet flies, Partridge and peacock, Partridge and Orange, etc.
    Turkey hunters, squirl hunters, deer hunters are all possible sources of excellent materials. Also check out the thread on cat hair. Any knitters in the family? A few feet of angora yarn, white wool ( Edison tiger body) etc. can usually be found in grandma's knitting basket.
    AgMD

Andrew,
    Do you have materials for all these flies? Do you need some materials? It's about time to do some "housekeeping" in my materials drawers. Maybe for some of you all too? Let us know!

Great flys! Lucky kids!
    Betty

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places

[This message has been edited by Betty Hiner (edited 27 November 2005).]
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Thanks for all the advice thus far...

It's going to be a challenge to teach that many kids to tie and cast (I do have some help). But let me tell you, sharing the moment that each one of those kids hooks up with their first fish will be worth all the effort. (and, if I can figure it out by then, I'll definitely post pictures)

Andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Mann (edited 27 November 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Andrew Mann (edited 27 November 2005).]

I have taught youngsters (and oldsters) a time or two and have some input here - partly echoing others suggestions. These are children, and while their little hands will do wonders by the end of the year I think they should start off will larger flies than most you have listed. And as the flies decrease in size they can build on techniques already learned. First a streamer with a wool/chenille body and a wing (perhaps a marabou streamer ? we used to do the Mickey F, but the bucktail was an issue for the first fly because the clumps were too big and it tends to slide around). Not a Clouser because we don't want any fingers stuck on hooks or to have to learn turning the fly 'upside down' halfway through the tie. Then Woolly Worm or WB. At this point all the techniques for an EHC have been practiced on larger hooks. Do an EHC. Now to folding something forward - a Michigan Wiggler (one new technique at a time). Then we have to learn the notion of attaching something in the middle of the hook. Do a Comparadun. Combine what has been learned so far in a Box Canyon Stone. Then move down in size to the GRHE. A Catskill fly is important, but not the Adams and the ParaA. Just go with a March Brown or something where the wings are the issue, not the wings PLUS two hackles or parachute. I know the Griffith?s is just a miniature WW, but save the small stuff to the end of the year when they have other talents under control. Then you could probably knock of the PT and the Griffiths in the same session. In our beginner's tying Symposium we have one helper for every 4 students. In the intermediate and advanced classes we have one helper per class to ensure the materials are handed out properly and to circulate with tying reminders and spot help. Some people learn by reading so ensure you have hand-outs as well, with space in the margin for those who learn by writing down. Regardless, you are doing a good thing and my hat?s off to you. My $.02.
    Greg Herring [url=http://www.winterhatches.org:26fbd]http://www.winterhatches.org[/url:26fbd]

This probably isn't a direct answer to your question but when i started my son tying a couple of years ago(he is now 12) I taught him the basics, gave him an assortment of materials and said now, "Tie me some flies". He came up with some good ideas and he now can look at a pattern and follow it. If he has questions and/or needs help I am here to assist.
    Kahuna

Since you have a parachute Adams, I would replace the Adams with a simple Clouser which can be tied with just about any materials as long as they contrast with lighter on the bottom as the fly rides.

Randy Knapp

Andrew,
    If you're talking warmwater I'd suggest the easiest fly ever to tie and that's a Gill Buster. Kids love them, and they catch about anything that swims. I do in my 4-H and BSA classes and tell the kids while their dad's are out in the boat, just drop these off the dock and bounce them off the bottom. They'll have more fish that the old man. JGW

+ Reply to Thread