I was looking at the main board and realized that I seen nothing posted by Dave Micus for a long time, thought I would google him and see if I could find any more writings, I found this instead

University of Montana Registrar Dave Micus announced Tuesday that he plans to leave his position at the beginning of March to take a job in Saudi Arabia.

Micus has accepted a job as registrar of the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, a new international graduate university located on the Red Sea and financed by Saudi Arabia’s king.

“It’s really a bittersweet opportunity for me,” Micus said. “I’m not happy about leaving here.”

Micus said he planned to spend the rest of his life in Missoula, but is pursuing this new career for financial reasons. He said he is being offered a “substantial” salary with benefits, such as housing. According to the University’s 2008–2009 operating budget, Micus’s current salary is $83,500 a year.

Micus has held the registrar position at the university for a little more than two years.

Provost Royce Engstrom said an interim registrar will be appointed until the University can find someone to replace Micus. He said he anticipates the process taking four-to-six months. The interim registrar will likely be someone who already works on campus, he said.

“Dave Micus has been an outstanding registrar,” Engstrom said. “I have really enjoyed his problem-solving abilities and his willingness to be flexible.”

Associate Registrar Diane Flamand said the time has gone by quickly, since much of it was spent acquainting Micus with the University and the job. The registrar who preceded him, Phil Bain, had held the position for 32 years. Flamand thinks the transition with the next registrar will be easier.

“It won’t be as difficult, I don’t think, because it’s been so recent that he’s been here,” she said.

However, Flamand said Micus made a number of friends and connections during his short time at UM.

“He really acclimated to the campus very well,” she said.

Administrative assistant Linda Jesse said Micus will be missed.

“He’s a great boss,” she said. “We hate to see him go, but it’s the opportunity of a lifetime. I certainly understand.”

In the month before he leaves, Micus plans to work on the new course catalog and wrap up other duties.

“I’ll do my best to leave the University of Montana in the best shape I possibly can,” he said.

Registrar Mary Callahan at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where Micus worked as the associate registrar before coming to UM, recommended Micus for the position in Saudi Arabia. He applied for the job at the end of November and got word that he had received the position a week ago. He has signed on for five years.

KAUST received a $10 billion endowment from King Abdullah, Micus said. Since the University is still being established, Micus will be starting from scratch. This includes developing transcripts and diplomas and building an office staff, which he estimates will be about six people.

“There’s virtually nothing there right now,” he said.

Micus has never lived abroad before and has no experience in the Middle East, aside from a trip to Saudi Arabia earlier this month. He said he plans to learn as much about local culture as he can. He doesn’t speak or write Arabic, though he plans to learn, but the University’s business will be conducted in English.

Micus also plans to take advantage of the fact that he will be close to cities such as Paris, Cairo and Rome. He said he is not concerned about traveling to a region with many nearby conflicts.

“When I was there in January, I felt extremely safe,” he said. “The people are very friendly.”

Micus said he plans to come back to Missoula to visit and would like to retire here.

“I think this is an excellent school and the people I work with are wonderful,” he said. “I find Montanans to be very friendly, open, kind people.”

I have enjoyed reading his posts/stories and wish him luck in this new adventure.

I hope he finds some fishing over there.

Eric