+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Zap-A-Gap

Hybrid View

Default Zap-A-Gap

I finally took the plunge and bought a small bottle yesterday at the local hardware store. Talk about liquid gold! I bought it to lock my lead wraps to the hook and form a smooth coating over the lead wraps, BTW.

I printed out the various product and warning sheets from the web and frankly this stuff reminds me of the power of a hand gernade.

Before I open the bottle and unleash the genie inside, I am interested in hearing some experiences -- good or bad -- on this product. What say you?

I have used the stuff for many years, both on modl airplanes and in fly tying. Never had any bad experiance.

One piece of advice, always get a bottle of the solvent to go with the cement, keep it handy near the cement bottle. That way when you accidently glue your hand to something it will be in reach!

Be careful opening the bottle, I live at high elevation and when I open stuff made in the flatlands it often sprays out suddenly and gets all over the place.
    Last edited by kengore; 03-24-2009 at 02:12 PM.

Robert,

Several bottles of CA glue, including Zap, have lived on my bench for many years....

I'm not dead yet, and the animals and family are still as okay as they've ever been...

Some 'tips'...

I NEVER, EVER put the cap on the bottle after opening...if you be clumsy (like I am), use some of that florists putty (green sticky stuff they use to stick flower stems and such together) to stick the bottle to a wider base (small piece of wood, piece of cardboard-anything that will make it harder to knock over). The glue won't dry out uncapped, I've had bottles last for over a year until I've used it all...and the cap/bottle connection is often the place where problems develope...they 'say' to clean the top of the bottle before closing..but many of us forget, and then the cap is stuck..often for good....

I hear all this stuff about the glue 'permanently bonding skin'-I get it on my hands by accident quite often...I just wiggle the stuck parts until they come apart....takes just a few seconds...acetone removes the residue that doesn't peel off under friction. Maybe I have an odd skin chemistry...lots of things about me are odd.

Use this stuff in small amounts...one tiny drop is usually enough to coat the threads on a hook shank and/or bond anything....too much effects the cure and the strength of the bond. Try to put on as little of it as you can, every time, and you'll have good results.

There are lots of different types of CA glues...some are stronger 'gripping', some dry glossier, some fill better (nails glues are generally good fillers and leave a glossy finish), they even have glues that are flexible when cured for making hinges, etc...If you need a glue for a certain application, visit a modeler's store..they should have a fact sheet that lists the different glues and their applications.

This is good stuff and will help in many tying chores.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

4. Default

Interesting to hear that it doesn't dry out when left uncapped. I had an entire bottle turn solid, with the cap on, sitting in my fly box. Keeping it in the fridge has eliminated this problem. I think humidity causes it to cure. Buddy, is it dry where you live?

5. Default

Buddy Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by afishinado View Post
    Buddy Sanders

That's why Buddy doesn't have a problem when leaving the cap off. CA'S react with moisture to set. Even the humity in the air will set it. The dry Arizona air is the solution. I live in Missouri and the high humity here would cause an unopened bottle to set in no time.

Dave

Used this stuff once at the bench, and like bazakwardz, next time I went to use it again the whole bottle had turned solid. Pretty dissappointing considering how much it costs.

Personally I much prefer the Loctite brand which is cheaper, much more readily available, and I like their "Frustration Free Applicator" which does seem to make life easier when using CA gel. YMMV.

I agree with what whatfly said. Zap-A-Gap products are over priced and really no better than Loctite products. This includes Epoxies. I have had Zap-A-Gap super glue harden inside the tube after one use. Never had this problem with the Loctite super glues.

Later, Jim

+ Reply to Thread