Casting and fishing a slower action rod or a faster action rod?
I ask because in my brief fly fishing career of 4 years I have made the full circle starting with the gotta have it now, cast a mile because it's cool, fast action rods sold by slick salesmen and marketing. The slower, all around better feeling medium fast action rods. And now I'm in love with the slower paced, feel every bit of energy, slow action, sunday driver rods. These rods are definitely making my casting better and fitting my style more. Plus, the presentations are much more delicate and they make a bluegill feel like a marlin.
I wasted a lot of money to get to where I am now and I'm trying to start my younger brother, but he's getting discouraged because of the difficulty of casting. I don't want to make the same mistakes with him that I've made with myself. Did I start off on the wrong end of things?
It seems to me that the only reason to have a fast action rod is if you are dealing with the winds of a salt water environment or on a drift boat out west. Otherwise, the slower action, better presentation is the way to go for trout. What do you think?
Sorry for all the different thoughts. There's probably enough for four or five different threads.
Please school me, becuase this is the best place I've found for information. I value everyone's opinion here.
Ben