+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide placement inside or outside

Default Guide placement inside or outside

now that I've found the natural curve of the rod sections, where do I wrap the guides, on the inside of the curve or outside?

Thumbs up

Fritz,
    It's a personal preference. If you put them on the "inside" of the spline, you'll get more power on your casting stroke. If you put them on the "outside" or the back of the spline, you'll have more power fighting a fish. I prefer them on the outside as I don't usually need to cast long distances. Best Regards.....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

I agree with Joel on the where and why of guide placement. However, I prefer the longer casts, and thus, place my guides on the inside of the blank curve. Tough choice, and it's your choice. Have fun with it.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Blog Entries

I'm not sure you gain any perceivable power due to the curve of the blank. The significance of finding the spine has been blown way out of proportion, IMO. I'm not saying that about any person here, but in the rodbuilding community in general. If you think it makes a big difference, put a rod together with the sections offset and see if you can feel a difference when casting it. I'll bet in most cases you won't.
    In any case, most casts have a backcast and a forecast, so again it doesn't really matter. Put them on in a way that is most aesthetically pleasing to you, and the rod will perform exactly as it is designed.
    BTW, in most cases, I wrap on the inside, but have been known to wrap on the outside on rare occasion.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

interesting point about personal preference and maybe imperceptible differences when casting. When "looking" for the spine on one of my bamboo rods, i notice that one tip had the guides on the "weak" side and the other tip on the "stronger" side. In all I've never noticed a difference bewteen the two tips. Maybe others can try the same and get a concensus. thank alll

I wrapped rods on the spline, off the spline and not paying any attention to the spline whatsoever and I (at least) can find no difference.
    Most rod manufacturers wrap rods for straight...not spline....so do I

I agree with Jerry. I now wrap the guides in whatever spot has the blank lined up straight. I have been tying up 4 piece rods lately and it seems that you always have to twist the sections to find that one combination that leaves you with a straight rod. This rarely leaves the spline of each section lined up.

With that being said I used to wrap on the inside of the spine. But to be honest if there is any difference to being on or off the spline I must not be a good enough caster to notice.

Yonks

Ok, first a little lesson of 2 commonly misused terms, spine & spline. Very simple, a "spline" is a thin flexible strip of wood, metal, etc. A strip of bamboo used to make a bamboo rod is a "spline". A spine is a backbone. A graphite rod has a spine, not a spline. So by definition the spine(backbone) is the side opposite to the guides. I made the same mistake before being corrected by a top bamboo rodmaker.

Blog Entries

Talking

And oh ya, about spine or spline or whatever. Ignore it. Really, ignore it completely, everybody does, really.
    Yep, what he said. If they don't, they should.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

+ Reply to Thread