I've got a good friend who has been gradually introducing me to fly fishing over the past year. I've borrowed his equipment and fished for small rainbow trout, and Chinook and Coho salmon.

Now that Steelhead season is almost here, I am ready to buy my own gear. I need a rod, a reel, waders, and boots. I would like to get a rod/reel that I can use for both Steelhead and for Salmon. I'll get a trout rod later.

My friend and one of the local shop owners have both recommended Echo rods as a decent entry level rod. I'm thinking about a 10' 8wt rod. I'm also considering the Redington RS3, as well as rods from St. Croix and TFO. That should tell you my price range. The local shop owner has strongly recommended the Ross Cimarron reel. It's a little spendy, but I do want something that will last for years of Salmon/Steelhead fishing.

I'd like to buy from the local shop if I can, but it depends. Individual pricing on rods and reels is very good, but I'm not sure if they will offer a "package deal" type of discount like I could get from Cabelas if I went that route. It looks like I could save over 35% if I got a Redington RS3 setup from Cabelas with their LSR reel.

Am I on the right track? Will an 8wt work for a big salmon, or should I step up to a 9wt? Would that then be too big for Steelhead?

Thanks for any advice that you can offer.