+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help lining a z-axis 590-4??

Default Help lining a z-axis 590-4??

Hey gang...Im curious to know what the Z-axis owners are throwing for floating lines...and if you have tried more than one. I have tried a Sci Anglers GPX and a Cortland 444SL.... I want to try a RIO Gold and a Sci Angler Trout...and am curious about the Triangle Taper....anyone try the TT? I have searched the archives...was hoping for some updated info lining my new rod... Thanks and Tight Lines...

PJN;
    I stated with the SA Trout on my Z Axis and now have the SA SharkSkin on it and love it!

Try the TT and the Shark,,, then let US know what YOU like!

I use Shark and have Rio Gold, prefer the Shark
    I was born at night, but not last night.
    Odds are with the prepared...

Some of the things Ive heard and seen with the shark lines i.e. the noise it makes in the guides, wear on guides, raw fingers...not so sure I want to try it. I have the Bermuda TT on my 9 wt and like it on the Florida flats...so I am thinking of trying a TT on my Z-axis and if I dont like it I will line an older St Croix I have with it as it is also in need of a new line. I dont really fully understand the advantages and disadvantages of all the available flyline taper designs and configurations....the market boomed not so long ago with all kinds of tapers for all kinds of applications and rod actions....Bass, Steelhead, Striper,...with resulting differences which only seem to be minor to me in the front tapers, back tapers, body, head lengths....I know that the casters skill and ability makes more of a difference than the line used....but I also know that some rods are better matched with certain lines....Just hoping to find out what others have recently learned with their 5wt Z's.....I have searchd the archives....and believe that there has gotta be one or two best floating lines for this rod on moving and still trout waters...

Thanks again

Though not a 5 wt, I have a 6 wt Z-Axis. I use SA GPX and SS. I have been using SS on my 6 wt and 4 wt for over a year and while the sound does get a little getting use I love it. After over a year of use I have no wear on my guides from using SA SS. I have other friends who use SS as well with no wear reported.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

The GPX performs well on the Z-Axis, but I have now gone to the Sharkskin and like it better.

Another question.... not to beat a dead horse here...I have to wonder about swithing from a line that is rated a half size heavier in the GPX to a standard 5wt in the SS???
    The rod must have performed noticeably different did it not?

And another question...I like the design of the Rio Windcutter II on paper...the front taper is rated a line size lighter and the body is rated a line size heavier...seems like it would load rod deep and offer a better presentation....just curious

Thanks again,
    Patrick

Blog Entries

Smile Lines

I have two 11 foot 6 weight rods that I use for nymphing on the rivers. On my 11 foot Sage XP, I use a 7 weight Rio Nymphing line, in other words I over lined it by one size.

On my Sage 11 foot Z-Axis, I use the Rio 6 weight nymphing line.

The XP is slightly faster than the Z and since when nymphing you don't cast with a lot of line out, I wanted to over line the XP just to load it faster.

I have been using those lines for a number of years now, ever since they came out with them. Before that I was going through a series of different line trying to find one that felt good to my with my casting style while nymphing. The Rio fits the bill.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

PJN,
    I used a GPX WF5F on mine at first but, I switched to a Mastery Trout DT5F and I love the way it casts on my 590-4 Z-Axis. The rod has a pretty soft tip and it will let you cast in close and will roll cast great too. I have been wanting to try a Rio Gold on mine just to see what it does though.

Rich

+ Reply to Thread