Even though I fully accept the title of browliner, a point to be made is that carp don't prefer terrible conditions, they just are able to tolerate them where other species are not. Because they can live in poluted waters does not mean that they prefer them. A carp is a survivor and a strong species. Some might like to equate them with cockroaches, but they say the roach will be here long after man has left the planet.

Last fall I was steelhead fishing, notice that I didn't say catching even though fish were present. I notice a nice pod of carp is those same waters and proceeded to chase the carp instead. They saved the day for me and allowed the fun factor to multiply. Carp can tolerate huge temperture variations. Their survival window is much larger than many species, but they still have a prefered temp range and water quality target. They remind me a lot of coyote. They have been poisened, trapped, water all drained out and refilled the lakes and yet they come back and thrive.

Yes, I have caught carp in true brownliners water but have also chased them in trout water. If you have never had a 10 lb carp on a 5 wt, be careful because you might never look at an 8" brook trout the same. By the way, I fish brookies often because they are available and stupid and easily caught where I fish them. Carp are truly a challenge to catch and powerful and have earned my respect over and over.

Rick