+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is 144 RPM too fast?

Hybrid View

1. Unhappy Is 144 RPM too fast?

I want to make some warm water poppers and I want to coat them with a slow drying epoxy. I have a small motorized screwdriver that turns at about 144 RPM, is that speed too fast? I have never used epoxy before and an experienced tyer said that the fast drying epoxies will turn yellow after a while and the paint on the fly will be dulled.

Adios Philip 43

Blog Entries

my guess would be that yes it is too fast, there are other motors out there that are slower. I once saw a suggestion for using a motor from a microwave rotisserie. one of those should be cheep to free with as many old microwaves are in the land fill and in peoples garages, My son made a rod turner out of a can opener, (worked ok) If you don't mind ruining your screwdriver you could probably use a lower voltage. Hit your local goodwill garage sale etc, I'm sure you will find something.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 03-19-2009 at 05:21 PM.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Never tried this kind of speed myself but I woud say it is too high. 2 and 1/3 revolution every second will most likely spray the epoxy all over the place. Even if the epoxy is thick enough to stay on cetrifugal foce will push it all all the way to the "outside" so you will end up with a thick ring at the point where the popper is the thickest.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

4. Wink Thanks for the information

I guess I'll hafta go back to the drawing board! How do I convince the Missus that I gotta bring another piece of Junque (oops, good stuff) into the house?
    Adios Philip 43

I think 144 RPM would be too fast. I made mine from an old BBQ rotisserie motor, it turns at about 40 RPM.

I see these often at the thrift stores for about $5....

Quick set epoxy, like the 5 minute stuff will be less transparent than the 20 minute types. It also seems to trap bubble and not spread as evenly. The yellowing that occurs with some epoxies is from contamination, for a crystal clear finish DO NOT mix with a wood implement (like a tooth pick) and do not mix it on paper. Use a plastic straw and mix it on a piece of alum. foil.

I guess I'll hafta go back to the drawing board! How do I convince the Missus that I gotta bring another piece of Junque (oops, good stuff) into the house?
    Actually you are going about this all worng. You need to convince her that you really need a rotisserie kit for your grill for cooking - lets say chicken.

Once you get it: cook a chicken FIRST and then feel free to apply the motor to "other" purposes which "enhances" the value of the appliance.

Of course after you try you will notice that you use it on your grill far more often than for "drying" stuff. Yummy.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Smile

I have used a 10 RPM for a combo fly and a rod turner dryer. Cabelas dryer motor turns at 4 RPM. BILL

I use a 6 rpm

Default Go Slow

Use the motor from the base of a microwave. I stopped by an appliance repair shop. When I told them what I wanted, they grabbed one from a pile and gave it to me. Works super.
    Rex

Kengore,
    Surprised at your rotisserie motor rpm. 40? Are you sure? I checked one and it was 6 rpm.
    Just curious.
    Gemrod

+ Reply to Thread