+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is 144 RPM too fast?

Kengore,
    Surprised at your rotisserie motor rpm. 40? Are you sure? I checked one and it was 6 rpm.
    Just curious.
    Gemrod

Quote Originally Posted by Gemrod View Post
    Kengore,
    Surprised at your rotisserie motor rpm. 40? Are you sure? I checked one and it was 6 rpm.
    Just curious.
    Gemrod
    Me too....

This may be a first....catching Kengore....guess a typo doesn't count...I suspect 4

Philip;
    I use Gudebrod "Speed Coat" rod wrap finish on my Dremel bugs. It is a one part flexable epoxy that can be thinned with Denatured alcolol and takes about 20 - 30 minutes to dry. Being flexable it resists chipping and I've never had it turn yellow. I turn them on a 9 rpm rod turner using a modified round foam thing I found at a hobby shop.

After forming the body of the popper I apply one coat and after it dries I add the eyes, legs, etc and give it another coat to glue everything down.

I once found an 8 rpm rotisserie at a yard sale for 2 bucks.

I once built a makeshift rod turner out of the kid's K'Nex set...worked like a charm.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

Yea that is way to fast! Optimum speed is 2 to 4 rpm. I made my own with a HVAC control damper motor with a foam flywheel. Works very well. As for epoxy I use the 20 min Flexicoat and brush it on which will provide you a smooth coat. Then I coat it with Sally hard as nails when the epoxy as cured for 24 hours minimum. Here is a picture of a few from a couple month ago but I am currently working #12 bluegill popper today and should be done in a week or so.

What brand of epoxy are you using???? I get the two part epoxy mix from janns netcraft and have never had anything yellow on me. I use it on wood metal plastic you name it.

fatman

Yup I'm busted! After a second look the RPM on the rotisserie is 4.0, I didn't see the decimal point through the old bbq sauce....

Devcon 2 part 5 min epoxy stays clear and to eliminate the bubbles when applied get some fine stiff stainless steel wire and pop the bigger ones that would cause cavities after drying. Micro bubbles are an enhancement as they give little points of brilliance that are an attractant on a fly.

"]

SBS

This little shoal was hand turned on my Peak - not an exercise I want to repeat again!

With regards to speeds, 7 rpm is as fast as you want to go otherwise you get some 'fling' (lumpiness) if using a faster speed. Microwave turntable motors, glitterball drives, bbq rotissiery motors etc all fit the bill and with about $2 of wood will produce an excellent epoxy dryer.
    Last edited by Albannach Cuileag; 03-21-2009 at 10:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread