+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trout Streamside

Default Trout Streamside

RW Here,

A poster on my Streamside Snacks thread gave me another subject for a new thread. How many folks did, have done, or will do a trout streamside for an occasional lunch?

Back in the 60's and 70's I used to do it quite often before catch and release came into vogue. I still kill about half a dozen trout annually for a special meal or streamside lunch if the place to build a small fire is safe and if the spirit moves me. When I plan to do it I usually carry a small salt shaker filled with half salt and half pepper for the task. If you've never done it and you like fish, you haven't lived until you've eaten a fresh brook trout grilled over a small fire about 15 minutes out of an ice-cold stream.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

RW,
    Fresh shorelunch, it doesn't get any better than that. Several times a year I do just that. Normaly for me it's a nice fresh smallmouth (trout are few and far between here) but at least once a fall I cannot resist a fresh salmon grilled over coals on the Lake Michigan tribs. One small coho will normally make a perfect lunch for two or three hungry fisherman!!!

------------------
    Arron the trout bum

For the last three years I've brought "utensils" for a trout shore lunch with us to Wyoming. The thought of " wiggle to sizzle" in no time sounded good. However, for those same three years the " utensils" have remained unpacked. Probably because I don't particualrly like to eat fish and that in my opinion, trout are very fishy tasting, even fresh.
    Maybe "next" year.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

RW,

There isn't much better to round out the day than a fresh fish shore lunch. On one of my guided trips (sorry; not a commercial), we fish on float tubes on two different lakes for Rainbows and Grayling. We always release the rainbows but keep enough of the grayling for lunch (usually 2-3 fish for a group). Along with that, I prepared spring rolls for an appetizer along with boil in the bag rice and campfire corn on the cobb (a real treat for Alaskans!).

We typically will use lemon-pepper spice, but very little. Grayling is very good to eat (very mild, white meat). The shore lunch is simply a great time to sit, reflect on the day, watch wildlife and enjoy the beauty of nature (might have to swat a few bugs while you're at it). I always look forward to the shore lunch.

[This message has been edited by alaskanfishguides (edited 24 November 2005).]

I do this a few times a year with fishin buddies, of course we call it a boil-up or a cook-up.
    It usually involves a "boil up" of tea too, with cream and suger, HMMMMMMM.
    Getting your oil or butter nice and hot is the key. We have a bag filled with salt, pepper, and flour, all in the same bag of course.
    Throw your brookies in the bag and shake 'em around til covered with the salt/pepper/flour mix.
    I like eating the skin, but some may not, .
    The flour makes the skin really nice and crispy.

later
    Mike

[This message has been edited by Newfoundlander (edited 24 November 2005).]

I don't do much catch and keep, but last winter we had a fire on the ice and pulled up a nice 12" trout. Kids were with me so we made a quick lunch of it. Delicious!

jed

Newfoundlander I do it the same way.try adding cracker crumbs to the flour those little brookies are my favorite.love them with bacon,thin sliced potatoes and a couple of slices of white bread.
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

Cutthroat, with a little lemon and garlic is the meal I look forward to most of all every year!! Even more than my annual trip to North Idaho and the wolf lodge feast that is included (For all you North Idahoans and Eastern Washingtonians).
    Adam

+ Reply to Thread