+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coq-De-Leon

Hybrid View

Default Coq-De-Leon

There has been a few posts recently regarding flies tied with CDL (Coq-De-Leon).

I was interested to read how people have grasped onto the Whiting farms CDL capes and saddles.

I am lucky enough to have been given a few feathers in several colours of the genuine CDL from Spain. I also have a few Whiting CDL capes. I just wanted to point out that the genuine feathers are plucked from live birds in Spain. (Some controversy over the cruelty of this, and I am probably a critic, although the birds do not appear to suffer much.) As far as I know all their feathers are harvested in this way and are never sold as capes. Whitings are the necks of birds. The genuine feathers look nothing like the whiting's except vaguely in colour. The genuine feathers are really large and stiff. The ones I have cannot be wound because the stems are so stiff. They are stripped and used as tails and very occasionally wings.

Maybe Whitings can call their necks Coq-De-Leon because they are from that particular strain of cockerel, but the feathers are in no way similar.

What do others think about this???
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

Mick,

I have some excellent CdL feathers from spain and as tailing material it takes some beating, as you say. These feathers are harvested from mature birds, plucked from the area between the bird's shoulders. The barbs are fine, long and glassy.

Sometimes the feathers are used as a collar, or as a downwing on a caddis pattern. For a collar the barbs are too long, when wound in a traditional manner, and either have to be trimmed down to size (works fine for fishing, does not look very pleasing to (my) eye), or they have to be attached in alternative ways, by first pulling the barbs clear from the stem and tied in as a bunch.

The Whiting CdL products are a totally different kettle of fish. The birds are no older than a year, there is no plucking of specific feathers off a live mature bird. The neck provides wonderful feathers for hackling wingless wets, and I think are an excellent product in their own right.

The Whiting Tailing Packs are the same feathers as sold out of Spain, and while decent are not in the same quality as the Spanish feathers. They are, though, much less expensive. Their availability also more widespread.

The choice is the tier's.

This tier uses both Spanish feathers, and the Whiting offerings.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Like Hans, I use both, the Whiting and Spanish feathers. I must admit to having a much smaller supply of the Spanish feathers due to cost.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Cool Dirt?

I spoke to the gentleman in Spain a couple of years ago about the Coq-DeLeon, and he sent us a small selection of the features. The colors where amazing along with the natural pattern in the features. He claimed being raising 'free range' the feathers where the result of the unusual local dirt. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    I spoke to the gentleman in Spain a couple of years ago about the Coq-DeLeon, and he sent us a small selection of the features. The colors where amazing along with the natural pattern in the features. He claimed being raising 'free range' the feathers where the result of the unusual local dirt. Who knew?
    Dirt????

I can assure you that there is no dirt on those feathers. They are mainly used to tie wet flies and for this reason they are so appreciated. They are unique and so the patterns on which they are used.

If you are interested in some information about CDL feathers (types, quality, patterns, step by step, etc.), you can have a look at the following link http://webs.ono.com/moscaahogada2/pluma.html . It is in Spanish but you will find a lot of very interesting pictures, and for those who can read Spanish, a lot of information.

Hope to be of any help.

Andr?s T.
    Last edited by Andres Touceda; 03-18-2009 at 11:16 PM.

Three pics from a good friend
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like Ron & Hans, I have both Spanish and Whiting CDL tailing feathers and while the Spanish feathers are marginally nicer (for tails), they are not worth the price. The Whiting tailing packs are a superior product price wise and considering that they also have a host of other useful CDL products, I see no reason to ever invest in the "real McCoy" again.

+ Reply to Thread