+ Reply to Thread

Thread: backing to line connection

Hybrid View

Default backing to line connection

When using loop to loop connection between flyline and backing, what loop knot do people use in the backing?

I have used the surgeons.

Bimini for the #7 - #12 weights.

Same here a bimini. I tie the loop large enough to pass the reel through. That way you don't have to pull the whole line through to change fly lines.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

spoonser.........
    1st tie a Bimini in the backing and then use the following to connect it to your fly line loop.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/DickM/Bimini-To-Fly-Line-Loop.jpg

This connection will compress the fly line loop and let it zoom through the guides. It also prevents the girth hitch.

Hope this helps,
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

I use perfection loops, all of my spools with the backing on them have a large loop in the backing. I then nail not a few feet of backing onto my fly line and put a large loop on the end. The loops are large enough to easily pass the spool/reel through. I can switch lines very quickly.
    Last edited by Host Ray; 03-21-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonser View Post
    When using loop to loop connection between flyline and backing, what loop knot do people use in the backing?

I always like to follow these knot questions. My question is why do you think that you want to do a loop to loop connection with your backing?

Make sure that your knot is small enough to easily go through your smallest guide. Check out this guide from Rio: http://www.rioproducts.com/photos/fi...fe97733597.pdf

I prefer an albright knot in my backing to fly line connection since it is small and strong and I actually get into my backing often while chasing carp so knot selection is important. If you are fishing for brook trout that are 9" it doesn't really matter, but if you are fishing for a species that will really take you into your backing choose your knot selection carefully.

Rick

Rick
    In saltwater, I'll change lines and switch between a sinker / intermediate /shooting head/ floater depending on conditions. The better reels are are expensive and I cant afford a reel for each line so a big bimini in the backing that the whole reel will go through will let me change lines in a minute or 2.
    Mike
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Quote Originally Posted by shorthaul View Post
    Rick
    In saltwater, I'll change lines and switch between a sinker / intermediate /shooting head/ floater depending on conditions. The better reels are are expensive and I cant afford a reel for each line so a big bimini in the backing that the whole reel will go through will let me change lines in a minute or 2.
    Mike
    I actually noticed a discussion of that on the link that I provided from Rio. I also realized that a second spool can be expensive for many reels too. Thanks for the follow up.

+ Reply to Thread