+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lineing a TFO Ticr 7wt

1. Default Lineing a TFO Ticr 7wt

Ok I've got my rod (TFO Ticr 7wt) I'm gonna be do'n large and ugly's for bass and need a line. I'm not crazy about the bass tapers out there, I can't push em over 50ft.

I was told Rio's Clouser line and the SA GPXline does well on this stick, any others?

Mike

Can't help you until you explain in detail why you do not like the bass tapers.

If your looking for more distance I'd say get a SA Sharkskin, however I don't think it will help you at this time, if you can't cast 50' the line would be a waste of money. You need to take lessons. You should be able to cast 50' with any line easily with little effort. Once you can get to cast 70' then a better line will help with distance. Then your next step is to learn how to double haul. Once you can double haul and with Sharkskin then 80+ will be easy.

If you have trouble casting a bass taper line beyond 50 feet, I suspect you will have the same issue with the Clouser Taper flyline. The Clouser line and some bass taper lines have short front tapers that are about half the length of the front taper on a standard WF line, including the S.A. GPX. Those shorter front tapers help turn over large flies.

I have a couple of S.A. GPX and S.A Bass taper lines, as well as RIO Clouser lines. The Clouser and the Bass lines are much closer to each other than to the GPX.

I have no difficulty in casting all three lines for distance. The Bass and Clouser lines are much better at carrying large flies at all distances and the Clouser is even better working with the wind in front or behind me. The GPX has a softer presentation and does not carry large flies as well for me.

5. Default

Thanks tailingloop that was the answer I was look'n for.

I've been cast'n a fly rod for most of my 40 odd years on this planet and in my experience you can toss the tightest FFF qualified loops all day long but it aint the only thing thats gonna catch you fish, It definently matters were you put your fly but if it dont get there in perfect form the fish just aint gonna know.

I've gotta couple a FFF instructor buddies in my club and I'm always open to pointers, I think I learned to double haul when I was 13 or so while I appreciate the advice but I do believe I'll be ok.

I have the 7wt TFO Pro, not the TiCr. I just use a standard WF from Bass Pro.

+ Reply to Thread