+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you mail your swap?

Default How do you mail your swap?

When you are returning flies to the swapmeister, how do you usually do it? I put them in an Altoids-type (with foam glued into it) tin, in a small padded envelope (self-addressed and stamped), then both go into a larger padded envelope with the meister's name and my return address. Usually costs about a buck each for the envelopes, plus postage. Anyone have a better (read: cheaper) way to do this with the same fly-safety?

Thanks

MAO
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I have yet to use a padded envelope. I use the standard manilla (brown paper) envelopes that have a metal clasp on them. And I usually send the flies in the same clear front case I plan on displaying them in. I just stuff that and the return envelope into the bigger one. Is this risky? Sure, but I can't afford to spend a small fortune on postage year-round. Also, If the person lives on the other side of the country or it's getting close to deadline, I'll spring for priority mail. Sending stuff to John R in Knoxville from NE Nevada, I have priority going both ways. I also tape all the seams on the envelope. I always look at it as the flies I get are worth more than the postage.
    Jared DuBach

I've only done three swaps. In the first I used the little containers that most fly shops have for collecting your flies--you know, kinda like the salsa containers at Baja Fresh. Then, I got the little Plano multi-compartment containers from Walmart for about $1.50. Each time, I've sent my flies in a padded envelope along with a self-addressed, postage paid, padded envelope. I think total postage was a little over $1.00. Honestly, I forgot what the padded envelopes cost, but I picked 'em up at the local grocery store. I like using the Plano containers, especially for dries.

Normand Guest

i put my flies in an appropriate sized plastic container for the particular swap i'm in. i dont use altoid tins, but thats just me (cant stuff 12 bass flies in there)

then i self address one envelope with my return address

at the post office i ask for return postage from the swapmeisters address

insert the swap box and return envelope in a larger addressed envelope and have that weighed. on its merry way it goes

my toe tags are a little different than most. i use business cards for toe tags. i put a foto of the fly and the recipe on it. i then stab the fly to the business card and put that assembly into a 3x4 ziplock bag. 9 times out of 10 thats how i do toe tags.

Last edited by Normand; 03-15-2009 at 11:24 AM.

I use the cardboard boxes for mailing CD's and then envelopes like Maodiver.

Normand,
    Your explanation is much better than mine and I happen to do everything you do aside from the special business card. Thanks for the added info.
    Jared DuBach

Thanks..I just wanted to know if the regular manilla envelopes did alright, they are a lot cheaper. I think I will keep sending in metal boxes for safety, sized appropriately to the flies in the swap. I will switch to manila and see how that goes.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Cover the metal clips on the mailia envelopes or just tape them shut.
    The metal exposed, on the envelope, costs more to send.

Rick

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    Thanks..I just wanted to know if the regular manilla envelopes did alright, they are a lot cheaper.
    cheaper yes, but they rip open faster than a bubble pack envelope. and the postal workers are not going to put that loose fly box back into a ripped open envelope and tape it up for ya!

No Matter what style box ( I use a Plano compartment box) or envelope you use ( I use the padded ones) make sure your return address is clearly marked and affixed to your box. There have been a couple of times in my swapping career that the machines at the PO have torn the envelope and the box containing the flies fell out. Because I have a return address label on my box, both times I got my box and flies delivered to my door, courtesy of the USPS.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread