+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Got some fishies

Default Got some fishies

Finally got back to the water today. It was a beautiful, calm and sunny 48 degrees when I got to the pond. Tied on a soft hackle and started nailing them. I guess I either need to add more head cement or throw a few more loops on my whip finish. After 5 hookups my fly came undone. I tried several other patterns and caught about 6 more but not to the consistancy of that first bug. I'm tying a bunch more of them for next weekends trip to the upper Owens. I didn't get photos of everything. I dropped my camera in the water while wrestling with the biggest one I caught. What a day to leave my gloves at home. Just some for you to get an idea of how it was. The one photo in the middle was my friend Robert and a nice fish taken on a midge. Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnarocks View Post
    ... After 5 hookups my fly came undone. I tried several other patterns and caught about 6 more but not to the consistancy of that first bug..... I dropped my camera in the water while wrestling with the biggest one I caught. What a day to leave my gloves at home. .... Jim
    Did someone say FRIDAY THE THIRTEENTH ??

John

P.S. Just wait until you see how my Friday the 13th went !!
    The fish are always right.

Nice fish Jim. What soft hackle was the hot fly? Glad you had a lucky friday the 13th.

Beaver

Beaver, It was a Soft hackle caddis pupa. FAOL intermediate flytying, Part fourty-eight. I used Jay Fairs short shuck in a dark olive for the body, a dun hen feather for the hackle tyed on a #12 wet fly hook. I should have but did not use a wire rib.The thread came loose at the head after about 5 or 6 hookups. I tried to rewrap it and ty it streamside. One more cast and hit and the fly exploded. When I brought it up to look at it was just a hook with a couple strings hanging off it. It didn't get the connection until John mentioned Friday the 13. HMMM Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Thanks Jim,

I need to add a few soft hackles to my box.

Beaver

+ Reply to Thread