+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 weight recommendations

Hybrid View

Default 3 weight recommendations

My b-day is coming up and I'm looking for something of outstanding quality that is as close to free as it can get. Seriously, any opinions on small rods out there?

I've got a 6'6" 2 wt that I built on a PT+ blank. I got the blank on sale at Cabela's for $11.99 and the grip was built out of wine corks. The total cost was somewhere around $30. It is the lightest rod I have ever fished. Very responsive and casts like a dream, when the wind is not gusting over 15mph.

The only thing I have caught on it so far are a few small bluegill. They were a lot of fun though. Hopefully next week I'll get a trout on it...

Black Co

I own two different 3wt rods, a Winston LT ($650) and a Cabala's 5pc Stowaway ($99) I like them both, but if I close my eyes and don't look at the label I might even like the Stowaway a little better...

The fit an finish on the Winston is flawless, it has the best cork handle I have ever seen on a production rod. Beautiful nickle silver fittings.

The Stowaway rod needed some fine tuning to get the ferrules just right, the cork is of a decent grade. I can find some small blemishes in the finish if the sun is just right. But it really feels good in the hand!

Martin has a whippy little seven footer Rolling Fork that is kinda fun,I think I paid 60 bucks for it,slow as it goes though.Don't know what kind of speed your lookin for

The Cabela's Three Forks 3wt has an absolute cult following.

Yup, Cabelas Three Forks 7'6" 3wt. A great bargain and great fun for around $50.

Dean

Cool 3Wt Rod

I have a Gatti 8ft 6in PT that I lke. It was a bit hard to find the right line for me ,
    the Rio Grand works great. I also like The cortland Camo intermedite in 4wt for the rod.
    You get what you Pay For!

Fishin' Jimmy

Default My only take

Is that you make sure you buy what you want whatever the brand for in this day and economy if you don't like it you will be damned hard to sell it and not take a huge lose on it,nothing is resaling well now,including fishing related items...

Great Bay Rods was just featured in the new gear section of Fly Rod and Reel and have seemed to have built quite a following as well as some great reviews in international fly magazines.
    Their Winding Brook series seems to be their small stream series of choice with plenty of 3 weight models to choose from and considering they're made here in the States a good value for the money.
    http://www.greatbayrods.com/Winding%...%20Series.html

Another vote for the Cabela Three Forks 3wt!

+ Reply to Thread