Quote Originally Posted by skondolf View Post

Since I want to learn here I'm thinking I want to tagot a couple books ordered (haven't arrived yet) but here are the questions ke the rod completely down to bare cane and refinish from scratch. I've I have:

1. I'd like some recommendations where to go for parts ie guides, handle, reel seats, etc. I know there are many sponsors here but not exactly sure how specialized this all is so I want to get the right stuff. I'd like to get a pre-made handle rather than turning my own. As I want to fish this stick I'm planning on adding some additional guides and have found placement measurements here. I seem to remember reading about brass vs. chrome guides.

2. thread - I've been told that I should wrap with silk but I want to make sure the thread doesn't disappear when I apply the finish. I'm thinking a pretty traditional red or green thread wrap - not sure how fancy I want to get. Suggestions on thread?

3. Where's a good place to see pics of finished bamboo rods so I can get some ideas as to colors, layout, hardware options, etc? I'd especially like to see what this rod looked like from the factory.

4. do most people use the same 5-minute epoxy for the handle/reel seat that's used on graphite rods or is there something special to use here?

5. Varnishing - What's the best way to apply varnish to the rod if I don't want to build a dip tube? Would you suggest hanging the sections vertically and brushing on the coats of varnish? What about the spray versions? Is Varnish and Spar Varnish the same thing?

Thanks SO MUCH in advance for any replies. I'm looking forward to all this. Sorry this post is so long.
Hi, Welcome to the world of bamboo. That is quite a list of questions so let me start off by saying that there is a world of information on this site and lots of knowledgeable folks to help out. I am sure you will soon be buried in choices. You might start by searching the bamboo areas here.

As for your Questions:

1. PARTS. I would recommend Anglers Workshop where you can find everything you need and Golden Witch for the bamboo specific components. Also check the sponsors list on this site. They are all great. for guides I would go to Snake Brand. they are the recognized top of the line and have what you need in chrome, black, or bronze finish. Also some of the best strippers available.

2. THREAD: On bamboo I would definately go with silk. The standard is Pearsalls but Tire and Clover are a couple of other brands widely used. Keep in mind that if varnish is applied over silk it will change color and become translucent. If you don't want that effect the only option is to use a color preserver on the thread first. This can be a little tricky. If you don't get the thread sealed perfectly, the finish will be blotchy. What ever color you pick, practice a few wraps on a dowel complete with finish first to make sure it is what you want.

3. PICTURES: Search for "Clarks Classic Flyrod" site and the "Rod Building Forum"

4. EPOXY: The five minute type would work and lots of people use it but I would recommend U-40 Rod Bond. It has a long setup time and stays flexible after cure. I have had great results with it.

5. VARNISH: If you don't want to build a dip tube, there are some alternatives. You can brush, spray, or pour on the finish. All of these methods are subject to practice and variable results and are applied to the blank before the guides are wrapped and finished. As a first attempt I would suggest an alternative. Formsby's Tung Oil Finsh. This is a rub on varnish in a tung oil carrier. Rub it on vigorously and let dry. You will probably have to put on 5 to 7 coats before you get a suitable thickness built up but it will do a nice job without all the runs, drips, sags etc.

Spar varnish is a term that comes from the boat building trade. Generally varnish is a generic term and spar varnish is formulated for outdoor applications like boat decks. It has UV inhibitors in the formula.

I hope this gives you a place to start. It sounds like a great project.