A friend sent me an e-mail. He was rather upset as he is a big fan of Fran Betters. It seems Fran has fallen on hard times and is also in very ill health.
Many of you know of this man and his contribution to fly fishing, with flies like the AuSable Wulff, The Usual and the Haystack to name a few.

So as a favor to my friend and to Fran I thought I would get the word out and see if there are folks out there that might be able to help even if it's just buying some flies. What he's really looking for is a buyer for his business, but any little thing helps.

here is the letter Fran posted on his ausablewulff.com site:

I AM ASKING FOR HELP
It is simply time to be very straight forward. I am in difficulty. Too many things happened at the same time. Number One: I was FORCED to move my business and decided since I HAD to, I would do it the correct way which took everything I had. Number 2: I came down with congestive heart failure which is now in its end stages and Number 3, the economy decided to tank all at the same time. How about that for a bit of luck? I cannot QUIT until I find a buyer for my business of forty seven years. I have to try and survive somehow.
So I am asking for some help. If you have been considering buying one of my rods, please do so now. It could possibly be one of the last ones made. I know my days are numbered. Or one of the framed collectibles with a dozen of the flies I created, let me make one for you now. I could definitely use the business.
Some of you say I am a legend but I have always considered myself just one of you all. I never sought the limelight nor took advantage of many opportunities I had over my forty seven years of business. Money never really motivated me. Big money at least. Perhaps I made a mistake. The place I find myself in right now seems to indicate that. So what I would like to ask of you all is this. I know my days are very limited and I MUST find a buyer so would everyone please network and if you know of anyone who would be interested in being my successor, please send them my way. I want to meet them before I pass on. The price is very low and the deal is absolutely turnkey. It is listed with a wonderful agent in Lake Placid, Margie Philo who is Adirondack Premiere Properties. Here is a link to see the information. Ausable Sport Shop for Sale
Thank you everyone in advance for any help you can give. Fran