Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
A few weeks ago, mid-February, we decided that we'd had enough of not fishing for the winter. Pushing it a bit we hit the mountains on a 50-ish degree day, though colder in the mountains. Lovely wife, daughter and grandson joined me.

Stopped at one of our favorite picnic sites alongside the stream we ate a nice lunch. The breeze was a little cool and it was overcast. Braden and I were in a hurry to eat and hit the water.

After lunch, well ya know, grandpa's have to put all this stuff on... waders, boots, vest... rig up a rod... by that time everyone else was down at the river's edge. Before I even got to the water Braden had dropped his rod in a pool... "I'll get it!" and sloshed right through the pool (42 degree water isn't too terribly bad) in his pants and tennis shoes.

Photo's courtesy of my beautiful wife.

"Tie a fly on, Poppy!" Which seemed a bit more dangerous than normal. Yup, skipping rocks is a part of fly fishing with little guys.

Then it was time to go after 'em. A fly "like Poppy's" was tied on to that Spiderman rod.

Poppy did manage to catch one little rainbow. He was only about 6 inches, which is about normal for this stream. Thanks to WarrenP -- I tied up several of his version of the "Reverse Spider" the night before -- and that's what caught the little guy.

If you look close you can see some of the wildlife that we got to see. One one side of the road were 3, on the other were about a dozen turkeys.

Continued in next message...
BEST GRANDPA award winner here!