Fished the Colorado river near Bastrop, TX. a couple of weeks ago and made the mistake of walking up the bank over an area of ground that had just been cleared by a dozer.

Snakes had evidently been disturbed and were angry. My Brittany was bitten on the top of one paw by a rattler the vet estimated, from the size of the bite mark, to be 2-3 feet long. I imagine she just ran over the snake and it struck.

Vet says effect was minimized because dog has been on the rattler vaccine for last three years. Still, with medicine and treatment, the cost hurt my wallet (well worth it, of course), and dog was lethargic and with bandage had difficulty walking for several days. With the anti-inflamation medicine she drank copious amounts of water and I had to take her out every hour or so. All in all, an experience I don't want to have again. Now, she's made a full recovery, for which I'm thankful.

The reason I'm posting is to STRONGLY encourage the use of the rattler vaccine (semi-annual shot is $20) and to pay particular attention to your dog suddenly having swelling (not necessarily "ballooning") on some body area, accompanied by no desire to eat or drink water.