+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught some monsters

Default Caught some monsters

Went out white bass fishing at one of the local spots, but he whites weren't hitting, so I went back to the truck, switched to my little rod, and had some fun...

I don't know, But I LOVE catching those little guys and at times I make a special trip just for them.
    I love the fact that the fly is usually as big as the fish,.....what are they thinking!
    I have small dogs that think they are big guys also.

Thanks for the pix....that is fun!

Any back cast with the ol' "what was that?" to find out there was actually a fish on

It's always fun when you can stand in one spot and catch 25 or 30 fish, and leave when the fish are still biting...

Many times, its just fun to catch some fish. And its been over a month since I've landed one, so I'm all for that!

That first one sure is a colorful fish!

And the second....although its still young, it doesn't look exactly like a LM or SM bass. Could it be a spotted bass or some other type?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Wink Airmail

Yes, indeed, the little guys can be entertaining. Rather catch little fish in a place I love to spend time than go someplace that doesn't suit me to catch bigger ones.

That pickup / backcast thing, Joni - I refer to that as "airmailing."

Can't say I've ever had a double like the one you had, Poke 'em. I've had a double on a couple times, but never landed one. Neat pics, as usual, and the colors of the fish in the first pic are remarkable.

John
    The fish are always right.

Those are some nice looking fish, and definitely fun to catch.

I went fishing on Sunday at the local trout park. I'd say I got skunked, but I did end up catching a sculpin. The wind was gusting pretty good and I got tangled by it. So dropped my fly into the edge of the stream while I was untangling, picked up my fly and there was, all 4 inches of it, dangling from my line with the fly in it mouth.

I didn't get a picture of it, cause it spit the fly before I had a chance.

Dave, that is indeed a spotted bass. Caught 3 or 4 of them today, biggest about 7 inches.

John,
    I actually had two doubles like that today, and 3 or 4 more where I had 2 on, but one came off... When you bring your flies through a school of 20 fish though, it can tend to turn into a frenzy...

I definitely know what you're saying about catching little fish in the right kind of place... I could have gone downstream and kept fighting the white bass crowds, but I decided I'd have more fun going upstream and having the place to myself.

I really wish I had a 1 wt. rod (that's my next rod-building project), but some of the bigger 'gills (bigger by this stream's standards is 5-6") will still put a pretty good bend in a 3 weight (for a little while).

Caught most of them on a size 16 Clouser.

Oh, and the only reason I throw a tandem rig (besides the pleasure of catching an occasional double) is that a size 16 Clouser is a little too big for some of the fish. So I'll put a little trailer on there for them.

Blog Entries

You know - I think that's the kind of fishing that keeps me "grounded". I've been lucky to fish some nice places for some big fish. Occasionally, I'll get into a "fishery" like yours and know I should move on. First thing I know I've killed an afternoon playing with them.

Thanks for sharing..
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Catching small fish makes me feel like a kid again...back when the size of the catch didn't matter (when you wanted to tell your friends about it). It was all about having fun.

Poke'Em,
    I don't have hooks that small, so I tried to tie a size 10 Clouser. I did it, but it looks way oversized compared to the one in your pictures.

I do have some size 12 hooks, so I'll try that next. The materials need to be really sparse, obviously. What's the main material (the black & white) you used? Craft fur?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread