+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Far Away Catch & Release

Default Far Away Catch & Release

My question is ; Is catch and release practiced where you fish??? In the U.S. and other countries??
    I would especially like to hear from Donald in Scotland.
    Thank You,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Here on Long Island, NY catch and release is practiced, even when stocked and you are expected to take the fish. Alot of guys just let'em go.

I catch and release from far away all the time! Sometimes I never even see them!
    Bill

In my area, southeastern New York and western Conneticut, when it comes to fly fishing for trout it is practiced extensively. Of the many fishing buddies I have I can't think of anyone who keeps trout.

I'm in southern California.

Catch and Release is required on some local freshwater impoundements. There are minimum size or slot limits for largemouth bass and many saltwater species - thus release is mandated by law in many cases. There are no take restrictions on some species.

Catch and Keep is mandated for trout on many local impoundments (stocked fish) - possibly due to a history of too much waste from bait fisherman ripping hooks from deeply hooked fish for release. Release fish and you can be directed to leave banned from the lake.

In some waters fished are released because there are health issues with eating too much.

There is plenty of catch and keep though too. Lots of good table fare swimming in local waters. The tunas, yellowtail and sculpin are my favorites along with dorado when they show.

Hi Doug,
    When I fish in Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho, I release what I catch. This year however, I'd like to fish some stocked water and take enough for a family fish fry. To be honest with you, I miss an old fashioned fried trout, hash brown, and corn on the cob dinner. If it does happen, it will only be from stocked impoundments where it's legal.

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    --------------------
    Lotech Joe

Hi Joe,
    I hope you had a good day today!
    Your SOUTHERN fishing friend,
    Doug WL OR
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Its become something of a cult out here in South Africa.You get the most awfull looks should you decide to keep a trout or bass for the pan.Considering that both are exotics and as such shouldn't be here it strikes me as a little pedantic.Our indiginous fish though get treated like royalty!
    Adam

Blog Entries

In the waters I fish in northern California, only a few spots have C&R requirements across the board, but you have to release all wild steelhead unharmed in all waters here but one.

Most flyfishers practice C&R anyway. If you read the results from the creel surveys, about 95% of the fish caught on my local river get returned to it, and the 5% that are kept are mainly bait anglers who are fishing for food as much as sport.

Dennis

In Australia the fishing regulations dictate size and bag limits for most fish species both Fresh and Salt. This said The vast majority of Fly Fishermen I meet, particularly on smaller streams are releasing everything. In the salt there appears to be wider range of attitudes and is more closely linked to how good that fish tastes - as it probably should be

R

dave

+ Reply to Thread