+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Little Red River, Ark ?

Default Little Red River, Ark ?

Anybody have any advice for me. I'm leaving in the morning to go fish the Little Red River in Arkansas. Just wondering if anybody knows of a good hole or area of the river to fish?

brhokla,

Go to the Libby Shoal area. I caught my biggest brown there....a nice 22 incher on an olive sowbug. He should still be there. Say hi to him for me if you happen to see him. Everyone concentrates on the Cow Shoal (when I used to go there anyway), but the Libby Shoal should be pretty vacant of people. The morning hatch at Libby shoal should be whatever it was the night before up by the dam. If all else fails go up by the dam and fish near one the outlets from the fishery....a lot of fish hang around there....not just because they were recently put there, either. Take plenty of olive sowbugs, & wooly buggers, pheasant tails, & midges and ask the local flyshop there in Heber Springs. Have fun.
    Ben

Thanks, I have never fished this river but with all I have heard from guys here locally in Tulsa it must be awesome.

It's wonderful. Cow shoals is popular, but the redds are there. Go to Swinging bridge, it's great

Try here:
    [url=http://p222.ezboard.com/bflyfishingarkansasandmissouri:6a017]http://p222.ezboard.com/bflyfishingarkansasandmissouri[/url:6a017]

and

flyfishingarkansas.com

Both are great wealths of information

Blog Entries

Bill,
    You should send Mike an email at maddogflies@earthlink.net He fishes the Little Red quite a bit and may even show you around a little.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

this is all good advise brhokla! I fish the little red quite often and like all the places they speak of. If you want to get into big fish though it will be best at cow shoals but get there early and go upstream to the island and fish there with small flies like scuds,Pt's,and soft hackles in 16-20 and here is the trick there. Put a small piece of egg yarn above your fly as an atractor to your fly. You can tie it in above your fly. This area is single barbless catch and release. Please stay out of the redds and have a great time. I know some of you won't agree with fishing spawning areas but it is legal and with care can be done with little to no harm to the fish. use a short leader and don't play them to long.

If you want to try swinging bridge the dam or even libby shoals they are all within a few miles of each other and offer great fishing as well. Get a map of the area or a copy of a copy of Home waters by the Mid-South Fly Fishers. It offers a wealth of information a on this and surrounding fisheries. Welcome to arkansas have a great time. Chad

Let me know how you do or shoot me an e-mail and maybe we can hookup and fish together some time.
    ------------------
    "A smart man learns from his mistakes,
    A wise man learns from others"

[This message has been edited by cctyer (edited 22 November 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread