+ Reply to Thread

Thread: u-40 rod bond

Hybrid View

Default u-40 rod bond

After struggling to undo some reel seats, decided I would use "Rod Bond" from now on as it is supposed to come loose with heat rather easily. Trouble is, it doesn't seem to harden. Is it hard to get the right proportions, or is it not supposed to get completely hard? It does seem to have fastened my reel seat on tight, but I put a blob on another place and it is still pliable.

Rod Bond tolerates mis-matched hardner and epoxy ratio very well if not over done. Get two sets of steel measuring spoons at tha Dollar store or someplace similar. Use one set for epoxy and and the other set for the hardner. They will also work well for Flex Coat.

If you are going to error on mixing, error on the side of a little less hardner than epoxy. Your Rod Bond should set to a pretty hard glob that you can leave an impression in it with a a finger nail.

It is a very good product. I have used it for years with never a problem.

Good luck with your project,

fishbum

Default One step

Hello herefishy, I can't recall
    the name of the stuff but I learned
    of it while visiting Bob Meiser at his rod
    building headquarters. It's a single chemical
    that he uses for gluing on reelseats.

Also and please don't quote me on this, I do believe
    Bob uses the same chemical for the wraps. I remember
    that one of the words in a two word or hyphenated name is 'bond'. Not
    sure about the other word. Hopefully someone will chime in with the right name.
    I think that if it's good enough for Bob Meiser, it's good enough for anyone's rod building efforts.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Some people use Titebond II or Titebond III for gluing reel seats. However, I don't recommend it .. Rod Bond is tougher AND much better to work with.

Rod Bond will never get "hard". It will be like extremely firm caulking when set. The best thing about it, is that it adheres like crazy, but stays flexible. It cures fully in 24 hours. It is not overly particular to the mix ratio. Obviously, strive for 50/50 ... but you only need to eyeball it and you won't have any issues.

TJ -

it does take a full 24 hours to cure. but mine always gets hard

Default Don't give up on the Rod Bond

Rod bond is a favorite among custom rod builders. It is a bit forgiving on the ratios -- I just 'eyeball' it, but measuring may help. I like the spoon idea.

Always be careful when blending the two parts to make sure it's well mixed. Also, if not a room temperature, the properties can change. Hope that helps.

Ron

+ Reply to Thread