+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roll Call

Hybrid View

Default Roll Call

I have just purchased a sage rpl eight and a half foot two weight and was wondering if there is a line available that would enhance my roll casting,hoping that it is the arrow and not the Indian.Any imput would be obliged,thank-you

A double taper or a long belly weight forward would be best I think. From what I've heard Royal Wulff triangle taper is also good for role casting but I personally haven't tried. Royal Wulff also make a long belly triangle taper but I believe they only go down to a 3wt.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good evening TCD.
    A 2W, its the only single handed fly rod that I now use, ( a Talon Graphite USA Cairnton 2w 7' 6, XF Model)all the others are Doubles and one day someone will make a 2w 12ft Double and I will be there with my Credit Card to buy one of the first !

And now back to your question.
    "two weight and was wondering if there is a line available that would enhance my roll casting,"

Both the Double Taper and Weight Forward 2w lines I have seen have almost the same taper. The answer is no.

OK, we have got over that problem, so now to make your 2w perform a Roll Cast the best way possible or to give you the best chance possible.

This step, is kind of a trick, because we will now extend the forward taper of your fly line by increasing the butt section of your leader.

Depending on the diameter of the end of your fly line, buy some very soft 30 or 25lb mono, which will almost match the line's diameter or even a 'bit' more and make a butt section of about 750mm, say, 2fot 6inches.

AND then build your leader.

The longer the leader will also help your RCasting.
    Why because this help your 'anchor' from which your RC is loaded from.

NOW, if you have decided to RC your 2w (I do 90% plus of the time trout fishing, now ) then ALL the Spey type casts are available to you also which will increase where and how you can fish places most people would think as impossible !

Kind regards,
    UB
    Last edited by Uncle Barry; 03-09-2009 at 10:25 AM.

+ Reply to Thread