+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I know I should ...

Hybrid View

Default I know I should ...

... and you know I should, know the difference in "nickel silver" and "anodized aluminum", but I don't. What are the benefits, or the detractions of each. Please?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-anodized-aluminum.htm

Nickle plating is usually shinier, but can come off. It tends to be more expensive.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

nickel silver will develop a "patina" over time! it has more "warmth" to it. aluminum is lighter, cheaper, and depending on anodization, is salt safe. nickel silver is an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel. it is very hard and corrosion resistant. not salt safe though.
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

So is all nickel silver just plated over something? Somebody told me nickel silver threads on reel seats hold tighter than aluminum, but I haven't seen that to be true.

Blog Entries

I should clarify my comments. I was speaking to nickle plated brass. Nickle silver seats are a different matter altogether. As mnklagoon stated, it is an alloy that can be machined.
    I usually go with aluminum myself for cost, and I like the "not as shiney" look.
    Last edited by ol' blue; 03-08-2009 at 06:39 PM.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I am going to say that Aluminum is lighter and maybe in some cases SOFTER than steel

And something else, I just got a seat that looks and feels like nickel, but has a more "gold" color. Is this just a different alloy of nickel, or is it nickel plated brass?

Nickel silver is an alloy of copper and nickel --brass is copper/ zinc---bronze is copper/ tin they all have similar properties as far as machinability with nickel silver being the hardest of the lot and used in the finer ferrules and reel seats. Aluminum and its alloys tarnish quickly and are quite soft. Anodizing is a process done to aluminum to increase its surface hardness and protect its surface from oxidation.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

+ Reply to Thread