Thread: A forgotten home remedy that might save you lots of grief

Threaded View

nighthawk Guest

Default A forgotten home remedy that might save you lots of grief

Right now I am in the middle of a three day battle with the flu. Yes I got a flu shot, no it did not work for this strain. This strain has waylaid most of our workforce and is particularly nasty nausea wise. We are talking lots of, pardon me, vomiting and severe diarrhea. Since this is viral a trip to the doc yields a little advice and words of comfort. Antibiotics will not help and may make you worse.

O.K I tried Imodium, the pink stuff, clear liquids only diet and so on. Nothing worked! So I am thinking I need to go to the store and get some Canada Dry Ginger Ale. That's when I remembered fresh ginger and lemon tea. I decided to pick up some ginger root. This definitely calms the nerves and the stomach. It will not stop the diarrhea all at once but the goal is to stop it gradually to allow your immune system and bowel time to recover. Here is the recipe:

4 cups of water
    about 2 inches of ginger root
    honey
    1 lemon
    1 lime if desired

Boil the 4 cups of water. Wash, peel and slice the ginger root into slices 1/2 inch thick or less. Drop the ginger root pieces into the boiling water, lower the temp and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. The length of the simmer will determine the strength of the decoction. Strain the tea, add a lemon slice and honey, also a slice of lime if desired. Be forewarned this is a very potent, strong tea. You may wish to add more or less honey to taste and/or add a very little sweetener. You can also dilute the tea but then you may have to drink more of it. 4 cups is a lot of tea but it can be reheated later. One coffee cup of the full strength brew has done me fine. This tea will help your tummy and calm your nerves.

I took mine about two hours ago and went from 10 minutes between bouts of diarrhea to none! Feeling much better. Please do not take offense to this or take the intestinal flu for granted. It can dehydrate you and kill you!

This is a good tea to calm the nerves anytime, easy to make and the Chinese have been using it for thousands of years. Drink the room temp, flat ginger ale too.

Eric the Nauseated.

P.S. Here is an online recipe too:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2113357_home...inger-tea.html
    Last edited by nighthawk; 03-08-2009 at 08:07 AM.