+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo....Using Sylk fly lines ? Why?

Blog Entries

Question Bamboo....Using Sylk fly lines ? Why?

Bamboo.......Other than trying to copy a tarditionalist trend ....What if any , are the advantages of using a Sylk fly line? Also what if any any maintenance is required over a standard fly fine? Also I'm looking at a Cortland 444 sylk and maybe that's not the same as a "silk" line?
    Last edited by ET custom flyrods; 03-06-2009 at 04:52 PM.

nighthawk Guest

I have a 444 Sylk 6wt dt and I love it. They are a slightly smaller diameter for the older smaller guides but that is also good for modern guides. They also have one of if not the smoothest, supple finishes on a fly line. Treat that baby with ZipCast and you will be delighted with it!

I treat all of my lines with ZipCast.

What JC said .... Cortland Sylk is similar to regular fly lines. Silk are woven silk fiber's.

As far as advantages to silk lines: they cast very nicely with grass rods but only float for maybe 4 hours then you either have to dry them out and re-coat with red muslin or swap ends by removing and switching ends on the reel. I use silk lines for nostalgia only. Their cost is significantly more than synthetic lines but if treated properly have a useable life span much more than synthetics. Kinda evens up the cost issue.

At my age 4 hours is about my limit without a shoreside lunch or sit so silk works good for me in that regard

Blog Entries

Smile

Ok that answered my questions. Thanks JC for that article also...big help. And one more question?.......what the heck is "zip cast"?............This bamboo stuff is giving me a whole new education.........lol.............thanks again.......Ed

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Smernsky View Post
    Ok that answered my questions. Thanks JC for that article also...big help. And one more question?.......what the heck is "zip cast"?............This bamboo stuff is giving me a whole new education.........lol.............thanks again.......Ed
    ZipCast is a line treatment sold by Jerry Brumfield, a.k.a. dotman here on FAOL. In my opinion this is the best treatment for modern lines there is. I use ZipCast, Q-tips and Hoppes Gun Cleaning Patches to clean and treat my lines and rod guides. A very little ZipCast goes a long way. Here is Jerry's site:

http://flyreeldots.com/

Jerry lives in Lancaster County, Pa. While you are there at his site might I recommend the other products he has. Those fly reel dots are one of the greatest things ever invented for our sport.

IMHO real silk lines are of significantly higher cost, maintenance and care for no real performance gains over the Cortland Sylk. At least not for me but then my casting skills leave much to be desired.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but aren't real silk lines more abrasive than synthetics and harder on the guides?
    Last edited by nighthawk; 03-06-2009 at 09:47 PM.

nighthawk Guest

Here is the article written by J.C.:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/pror...rtlandsylk.php

Sorry Eric, but IMHO,,, real silk line is narrower and faster through the guides (and the air) (SA Shark may be second) than any other fly line made. More expensive and require maintenance for sure. But, the 'ease' in the actual fishing/casting is remarkable. Perhaps half the effort.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Sorry Eric, but IMHO,,, real silk line is narrower and faster through the guides (and the air) (SA Shark may be second) than any other fly line made. More expensive and require maintenance for sure. But, the 'ease' in the actual fishing/casting is remarkable. Perhaps half the effort.

The smaller body of real silk would translate into lower aerodynamic and hydrodynamic drag numbers for sure. I just never could get used to casting with real silk. I made a video of my fly casting once. It would have been a great gag for the Benny Hill Show.

Default ? for you Eric

Eric. Am I correct in stating that you use Zip Cast for your snake guides and fly line?
    Bernie

+ Reply to Thread