+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stonefly nymph? photos

Default stonefly nymph? photos

never seen a nymph until today. looked down from fishing to see this thing floating by! after getting home and looking it up it looks like a stonefly nymph to me? what ya guys think?

God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Looks like an early black (or brown) stone fly that is in the process of emerging into a winged adult.

it was on the top of the water. unless it was on some ice on the side of the stream and I broke it and it fell in?
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Early stonefly nymph...maybe Taeniopteryx sp.

Most stone flies crawl to the edge of the water and emerge into the winged adult out of the water. I have though seen many early black stone flies emerging mid stream on my old home stream back in Pa. What is often thought to be a "hatch" of early black stones is in fact the females flying out of streamside vegatation and returning to the water to lay thier eggs.

thanks guys. I need to keep my eyes open for more.
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

early black or early brown but that def is a stonefly the wingpads are the easiest way to tell.

Flyfish4troutguy Guest

yupp stonfly for sure, seen a hatch today, but i didnt have waders on i was just out for a walk, damn thing flew right up on my ear and scared the heck out me 10 mintues later when he decided to catch a ride an appear on my cheek

1st time I ever saw any nymph ever. pretty sweet to kno they are in the river I fish!
    we have lots of silt and I always heard thats not good for bugs that live in the streams.
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Default Out west it couuld possibly be a male skwala stone

The skwala stoneflies are just starting out here on the Yakima river
    (washington state) The males have wings but the never develope only
    the females.
    Flyfisher121

+ Reply to Thread