+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am the dumbest rodbuilder in the world!

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Unhappy I am the dumbest rodbuilder in the world!

Well, I've reached a new low. I picked up a spey blank to build up (after winning the speycasting book offer here on FAOL). It was a Forecast 8/9 weight blank. Mistake 1: I got it second hand, so I didn't get anything identifying it as a Forecast blank. Mistake 2: I glued the handle up without pulling out all of the sections from the bag. I glued the handle assy up to the 3rd instead of the 4th. I already pulled off the spey cork, but can't remove the seat.
    So now I have one of the middle sections ruined and no real way to return it to the manufacturer to try to get a replacement section. Well, that rod is scrapped. I guess I can try building up the 2 (or 3) tip sections as a 6' or 9' shorty and hope it will cast something well. It isn't really anything I need as a shorter rod. UGH! I guess I shouldn't work on rods when I'm not feeling well. Out of funds for another blank. I guess I'll have to start fresh another time.
    Last edited by ol' blue; 03-05-2009 at 11:37 PM.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Question Which reminds me ...

... have you had a chance to read Simon's book ?? Just curious what your reaction to it was ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

I've been waiting to get the rod done to go through it in depth, but I think I might be able to cast somewhat by using the book. It appears to be a good instruction tool. Perhaps I can spey cast my 6' remnant....

FFMIRSWTNBOF

Did you try to cut off the seat?

Blog Entries

Not yet. It is an all metal seat, so it will take some work. I might get it off and make it work in the meantime, but that section will remain ugly from the epoxy that won't all come off. But it is better than scrapping the whole blank. I still can't believe I did that. I guess I can only laugh it off and feel pretty sure I learned another lesson the hard way.
    Last edited by ol' blue; 03-06-2009 at 12:41 AM.

FFMIRSWTNBOF

Blue those things happen to all of us at some point in time or we would not be rod builders. I don't know what you glued the reel seat on with but I do believe heat will loosen the glue or epoxy. If it was done with rod bond use thinner to remove the glue and then rubbing alchoal to clean it up. There is nothing that can not be fixed just how much time you want to take with it. Don't know if this will help or not just wanted to kick it out there. BOB

You didn't wreck anything if can't heat up the glue or get it off (reel) seat. Try to cut it off with a pipe cutter, the kind you use on 1/2 or less copper pipe with the round disc knife. If you do use electrical tape around the shaft area that needs to be cut. This way it will help buffer the area so it wont splinter apart. So when you cut you actually are cutting the tape and shaft at the same time. It works, I've used this method several times. Go slowly. Hang in there.
    Were only dancing on this earth for a short time, might as well be dancing with trout.

Blog Entries

I will. I used 2 ton epoxy for the handle, so I guess I'll try the hot water trick next. If that doesn't work, time for the pipe cutter. Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement.
    But still.....geez, what a bonehead thing to do!

FFMIRSWTNBOF

Default Epoxy woes...

ol' blue, if'n it makes you feel any better, long time ago I epoxied up a cork grip and then I slid it down over the small end of the butt...what a
    mess...even the wife asked what the heck did you do that for? It cleaned up though so no worries once you get the seat off by heating...

best of luck,

MontanaMoose

Default dumbest

Aaaaaha! But in every mistake other tricks come out. Pipe cutter for an old or crappy reel seat. Gonna keep that one in mind. Sounds better than my Dremel

+ Reply to Thread