+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cane ferrules

Hybrid View

Default Cane ferrules

How difficult is mounting ferrules on cane? I see blanks marketed as with and without. Is acchieving beauty/quality the issue?

Default Ferrule mounting...

Hello again Colorado, well it's not that big of a deal to mount them and yes, beauty could be one aspect, quality another. There are pitfalls
    I'm finding out but nothing that once you're aware that can't be addressed.

The obvious question now is are you beginning
    a cane rod build? I'm sure everyone would enjoy seeing pics of your project start to finish, plus the first fish caught thereon etc. !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

Cool Make sure you do the math.

Mounting ferrules is not that difficult but, Keep in mind when seeking to purchase a blank , ferrules can add quite a bit of cost if your using good nickel silver ones. So that lower price on a blank without ferrules may look good until you figure out what it cost to buy the ferrules and mount them.........Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Smernsky View Post
    Mounting ferrules is not that difficult but, Keep in mind when seeking to purchase a blank , ferrules can add quite a bit of cost if your using good nickel silver ones. So that lower price on a blank without ferrules may look good until you figure out what it cost to buy the ferrules and mount them.........Ed
    Yup! I agree w/Ed. Not being a builder but being quite into cane, I'd opt for having the maker mount them for you on a first rod/blank endeavor. You have to know that a few critical steps have to be done very well or you'll get grief!

But that's just me....

Jeremy.

You have received some good advice.

Mounting ferrules is best accomplished using a metal cutting lathe to turn the ferrule stations. This is the most accurate means to get them on straight. You can mount them by hand fitting but be warned, you will most likley get them on off-center and end up with a slight offset in your rod at the ferrule.

If you do atempt to do the job yourself, stay away from epoxy as the adhesive to mount them with. You will just end up having to repair them later. Use Pliobond to mount your ferrules. They will stay on and there is no need to pin them.

If your plans are to only assemble a couple of bamboo rods then you will probabally be better purchasing a blank with the ferrules already installed.

Good luck with your project,

fishbum

Thank you all for the information. Axial alignment and good hardware sound like excellent choices now.

Thanks,

Dana

+ Reply to Thread