+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Small Patterns

Default Small Patterns

Hello

I am looking for some of your favorite trico, bwo, little yellow stonefly, and partiot recipes. I just started tying a month ago but can tie alot of stuff. I just need to get some smaller hooks. Do you know any place like Wallmart or dunhams to get size 18 and down. Thanks.

Don't know if Wally world has hooks that small. If there is a Sportsmans Warehouse, Bass ProShop near you they would have them for sure. If all else fails you can go shopping on the internet. I suggest Hook and Hackle if the internet is your way to go. Great prices and really fast service.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I was in the middle of posting a recommendation for Hook and Hackle when I hit a wrong key and lost it. I second Ron's recommendation. If not them any of the sponsors here on FAOL can be trusted. You can find the sponsors page by clicking on the sponsored by link in the upper right corner of any page.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I've yet to see anything below a size 10 in a walmart. Bass Pro/Cabelas/Gander Mountain or any local outdoors oriented stores should have what you want if theres not a flyshop locally.

Thumbs up Phone / Mail Order Vendor

Here's another good source for all things fly tying. I linked the Dai-Riki hooks because that is mostly what I use.

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.ph...iew&target=552

I've had excellent customer service every time I've dealt with Feather Craft.

John
    The fish are always right.

I got a "feather-craft" catalog in today's mail. I wonder why? John's right, they have hooks in about any size you'd need. I'd check with Ron at Hook and Hackle too. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I would think that in Michigan there is a local flyshop within reasonable driving distance that would have the sizes you need. I'll be willing to bet that if you buy your hooks there, they will also be able to recommend the patterns that work near there, maybe even help you tie some up.
    Glenn

cdpaul,

The other folks have given some good recommendations for you to check regarding hooks and other materials. I check WalMart every time I'm in the their store and I've never found small hooks suitable for what you're interested in tying.

As far as flies go, here's a few of the ones you expressed an interest in.

My favorite BWO's are ....

This is a parachute/emerger pattern tied with olive pheasant tail, snowshoe hare post, and a dark dun hackle. I tie these in size 16 - 20.

This is a Klinkhamer style BWO emerger. Olive dubbing, peacock hearl thorax, dark dun z-lon or antron post, with a dark bronze hackle. Probably my favorite fly.

Here's a couple of Sally patterns (stoneflies). One in yellow and another in chartreuse. I caught a hatch of a really bright green stone fly coming off on a stream in Pennsylvania a few years ago and started to carry a few of this bright green color. I tie these in size 14 - 18.

Pretty basic tie on these. Red floss for the tag (suppose to be an egg sack), dubbing abdomen and thorax, deer hair wing and hackle to match body color. The Lime version has a bit of chartruese crystal flash in the wing as well.

I don't have any Patriot patterns to share. I'm sure a web search will turn these up or others will post some help. Best of luck and let me know if you have any questions.
    Joe Bertolini

You've gotten good advice on the other patterns, and I can kind of walk you through the Patriot, a very effective attractor designed by Charles Meck. It is basically like a Royal Wulff, so you can find a pattern for that, then substitute a red floss/smolt blue krystal flash/red floss body for the peacock, red floss, peacock of the Royal Wulff.

+ Reply to Thread